How to do a Skull.

Originally Posted By: COYOTEKILLERMILLERHere is the step by step process I have used for many years . When finished , My skulls end up looking like a plastic model

1. Place skull in crock pot until meat falls off bone.
2. Using a garden hose, Spray meat off and inside cranium with garden hose , teeth should come out at this point.
3. Fresh water in crock pot along with good amount of liquid dish soap to degrease bone. Let cook in hot soapy water for about the same amount of time or less than step one.
4. Spray off fine pieces
5. Place skull in Hydrogen peroxide and soak till white.

Tips: Do Not Bleach as bleach will make bone Chalky
Animals such as Bobcats and raccoon are more delicate and require less cook time than a heavier boned animals such as beaver and coyote.

What % peroxide do you use and do you ever have to degrease them?

This helps ALOT! ive been working on 2 different skulls for about 4 weeks now. there doing alright, but they could be doing better. ive just been boiling, then pulling off meat. i didnt get much meat off the secound one, but the first one was done pretty good. i kinda gave up in them and just let them sit in water for a while. its doing the job, but could be done better. thank you tons!

This helps ALOT! ive been working on 2 different skulls for about 4 weeks now. there doing alright, but they could be doing better. ive just been boiling, then pulling off meat. i didnt get much meat off the secound one, but the first one was done pretty good. i kinda gave up in them and just let them sit in water for a while. its doing the job, but could be done better. thank you tons!

My pics got deleted during the great online photo hosting reset, so they are now reloaded on my page 5 post: How to do a skull w/pics

I used a temp of 180 on my homemade "buck boiler" for several hours with a badger and fox skull. The bits and pieces are a little harder to get off vs. boiling but the teeth do not fall out nor did they crack - both issues if you boil. They came out nice.

Just purchased 1 gallon Baquacil oxidizer at local pool supply for $16.99, so the price is still reasonable. It can be reused and will keep for a while if stored properly. I think one could do a deer skull using only 1 gallon but it would require several steps unless you can figure out how to design a container that would submerge the entire thing using only 1 gallon.

Last edited:
I use a small steralite plastic container. I only fill it up to below the antler bases and then lay paper towel over the parts of the skull thats not submerged. Wet the paper towels down with a big syringe. Keeps from whitening the antler bases. I seldom use baqaucil at full strength. 50/50 does a good job for me.

Back