Raccoon hunting for numbers at night

Borkborknomnom

I have a buddy that has a coon problem...I plan to take a supressed 22lr ar with thermal up to his place a couple of nights after he has pre baited with corn for a couple days...plan to sit up all night and pick them off one by one...has anyone done this is there anything I'm missing or need to take into account?...I want it to go well and kill the max amount!

I talked with a farmer the other day, he had a crazy coon problem. They were trying to move into buildings & equipment, let alone the corn. He told me not to be put off by the 30+ coon carcasses in a disposal site over yonder.

As I suspected, his method was ‘fly-bait’ mixed with something sweet, Coke, whatever. Should you resort to such methods, keep it away from dogs & non-target animals. Info comes up with a web search. I’m not even suggesting it, shooting is a bit more sporting. Thing is, with 30 coons, shooting 3 doesn’t accomplish a whole lot.

The standard answer is to wait until prime later Fall, then trap & skin when in season. A few problems with that is, my coon problem is NOW, &

Shooting fall and winter coon in the body here in Mn with a 22lr usually requires more than 1 shot(for quicker kill if shooting past 75'). CCI velocitor gets results closer to a 22 mag then others I have tried. Used to run multiple hounds, shooting up to 30 raccoon a night. Pre bait works for shooting or trapping. If you trap and want multiple catches, place traps on trails leading to and from bait site, trying to minimize animals seeing animals already caught. Hogs are not an issue here, maybe a problem baiting and trapping your coon.

I took 5 behind my place last fall in under 1/2 an hour. Nobody hunts them around here so they're out of control. Going to try to take some off the neighbor's ground this coming weekend.

I have been contemplating dedicating my photon nv to a 1022 for barnyard pest sniping . I really don't have the pests to justify it right now but some of my neighbors do and using it as a loaner might just make a good will gesture for other things and opportunity's for that big buck or whatever down the road.

I would consider a .223 or a shotgun, actually. Coons are tough animals. I used a Ruger 10/22 for two seasons and said that is enough. Only a shot between the eyes kill the coons and if you hit body ~ you need to keep shooting and the bigger ones still run off.

If you state allows it for depredation, an electronic caller brings them in like WILDFIRE!!!

Enjoy!

TC

Back