suppressor blew off

Originally Posted By: bronco2i made my own suppressor cant i just make another one with the stamp i got. i cant pay $1000 for a good one

your stamp was good for the one you built. if it gets damaged beyond repair - which said repair would have to be done at an appropriately licensed FFL anyway - your stamp has been forever used up. there is no do-over, unfortunately.

dont let this experience get you down. take it as a - relatively - cheap lesson. that being use the proper grade and type of materials for the right job.

thin, repurposed aluminum - designed to withstand hundreds of PSI on a fuel system instead of 10's of thousands of PSI - was a poor choice for the pressures you're working in. had you been building a 22lr can, or a dedicated blackout subsonic can, or a pistol can... you might probably still have a functional suppressor.

( some faq's that may help about repair/replacement of damaged suppressor parts )

at this point...crush that bad boy, call the atf to let them know its destroyed, apply for a new stamp, and look at one of the kits from a known supplier of these kind of things - JK, or diversified machine, STDA, etc. order steel or titanium so you can sustain the pressure of a full bore firearm like your 243.

i wish this would have been available when i did mine.. but i was relatively early on in the solvent trap conversions and this level of quality wasnt available then

https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/premium-titanium-kit/

if you need to shave a few $
https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/select-titanium-kit/

however - either of the above is a kit you can convert into a suppressor you can use for years to come.

ps: since you're on a budget... finish to the largest caliber you own/plan to own. having fired several 45 caliber cans on guns down to 223, while you do lose a little performance... its still very solid sound reduction.

have two friends with the SiCo hybrid 46 and neither felt the need to get the .22 caliber endcap after firing it on their smaller diameter centerfire guns with the stock endcap.

I did a .30 cal when i did my form1 and shoot it all the way down to .204 and love it. just regretting i didn't do 45 cal when i did.. but i didnt have my 450 bushmaster at the time, or any 9mm carbines with threads (just an old hipoint). so now i'm stuck investing in another can to cover the >.30 cal range. Long term goal was 3 to begin with.. but i was only thinking pistol caliber (pressure) capable for the 3rd, not another rifle pressure capable one.

sorry for your loss, but glad nobody got hurt in the process.

hth

Originally Posted By: bronco2i fit it. thanks all

Fixed it? Do tell.

Bland County is just over 3 hours from me. I have a YHM stainless phantom. It's built like a brick [beeep] house and weighs almost the same. It's rated for 300 win mag and was like $600 when I bought it. YHM's newer offerings are even a little cheaper. You're welcome to try mine out if you're ever up this way.

If the suppressor is serialized and the stamp is for a serial number,as long as there is only one suppressor with that serial number?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIf the suppressor is serialized and the stamp is for a serial number,as long as there is only one suppressor with that serial number?

you're still not allowed to engrave it on two different items, even if only 1 exists. having to replace the outer tube constitutes making a new suppressor, and the BATFE is very clear about that specific thing.

Quote:U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives
Washington, DC 20226
April 17, 2008
Frequently Asked Questions - Silencers

Q1: What part of a silencer must be marked?

A: The silencer must be marked in accordance with 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.92 and 479.102. The regulations require that the markings be conspicuous and legible, meaning that the markings may be placed on any external part, such as the outer tube or end cap.

ATF strongly recommends that manufacturers place all required markings on the outer tube of the silencer, as this is the accepted industry standard. Moreover, this practice eliminates the need to remark in the event an end cap bearing the markings is damaged and requires replacement.

Q2: May a Federal firearms licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?

A: A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If a silencer part bearing the serial number, other than the outer tube, must be replaced, the new part must be marked with the same serial number as the replacement part.

The term “repair” does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootSo make sure your outer tube is indestructible.

i mean.. theres no such thing as indestructable... more like overbuild instead of underbuild.

but its a perfect example of making sure you're using the right material for the right project and why its really important.

Did you see the arfcom news on youtube about the guy who purchased 2 of those "fuel filters" and when they arrived he knew they weren't fuel filters. He turned one into the police and said when the other arrives that he would hand over that one too. Well when he came to hand over the second fuel filter he was arrested for posession of an nfa item without proper paperwork.

didnt see that one but did see the video of the diesel mechanic and veteran who got a visit from homeland security this summer for buying diesel filters based on his internet shopping lists

the guy runs a youtube site "truck master"

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotmakes for a good video. but i don't buy it.

they didnt frog march him out, and he's still making video's... so... but yea.. who the heck knows.

Back