Sighting in thermals

jskinn22

I just recently read through the super hogster manual and it says to always zero your scope on the base magnification. Is this true for all thermals and explain why it matters please.

One reason it matters is that the adjustments per butten click are scaled for base mag . when you digitally magnify by 2x the adjustment will be twice as course . Ie your 1cm or moa per press becomes 2 . At the same time your resolution onscreen drops by half so you cannot establish quite as fine a sight picture . Rather than go into this in the manual I suspect its just easier to do what they do and tell you to zero it at base so there is no variables due to digital magnification .

That makes sense I guess my question was if you did sight in at the 4x zoom you would still be zeroed at any other zoom level?

When zeroing mine I shoot @ X3 and go back to base mag to make adjustments. When I get close to zero I adjust by the windage and elevation numbers to fine tune.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI zero @ base magnification @ 50 yards and fine tune @ 200 yards.

That is exactly what I do.

So when you guys fine tune at 200 are you still shooting at the base mag or are you shooting zoomed in and then going back to the base mag to just make your adjustments?

Seems gnat azz zeroing would be tough to do at 200 unless you are on max zoom. I zero and shoot everything at max zoom in pip. Still have 1.6x on main screen. Imo thats what other thermals lack is an independently adjustable pip and big fov. Not to mention poor battery set ups.

I can see where zoomable pip would be nice but my hogster is set to 2x screen zoom . I suppose its a case of price/features and if I really wanted more I should have spent more . However I be a Poorboy and the little hogster got me into the thermal game rather than setting on the digital nv sidelines cheering with its pricepoint . I sure am not going to worry much about having to work around a few issues because at least I get to play now LOL .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jskinn22So when you guys fine tune at 200 are you still shooting at the base mag or are you shooting zoomed in and then going back to the base mag to just make your adjustments?

I shoot with it zoomed in, then go back to base mag to make adjustments. Well, at least with the Hogster.

My Thermion is different. On it as you zoom you get finer adjustments. It is like 1 MOA on base mag, .5 MOA at 7x, .25 MOA at 14x. You don't need to go back down to base mag to make adjustments. Or at least if you are supposed to zero at base mag with it, no one ever told me so.

Originally Posted By: FarmDadOne reason it matters is that the adjustments per butten click are scaled for base mag . when you digitally magnify by 2x the adjustment will be twice as course . Ie your 1cm or moa per press becomes 2 . At the same time your resolution onscreen drops by half so you cannot establish quite as fine a sight picture . Rather than go into this in the manual I suspect its just easier to do what they do and tell you to zero it at base so there is no variables due to digital magnification .

I think you are saying with higher 2x magnification you adjustment with one click (so to speak) Will move your POI twice as far?

That’s exactly opposite of how a trijicon works. The higher the magnification the finer you can tune your scope POI. The lower 1x power moves it much farther per click

Back