Truck and camper setup advice?

Coyotejunki

I am planning to retire at the end of the year, and looking to buy a camper to tow behind my Tahoe. I have a 2008 Tahoe LS, 5.3L 4x4, 3.73 gears, trailer package. I am looking at 18ft campers like a KZ , may go as big as a 20'. Does this sound like a reasonable setup for my Tahoe or too much camper. I plan to move around some and hunt here and there.

FWIW, my 2003 Silverado LS 4X4 (same engine, same posi-trac rear end ratio) handled a 26' HiLO on hyway nicely. Never took HiLo off road due to low ground clearance.

The HiLo is a heavy for length trailer but that was probably offset by it's very low wind drag.

Regards,
hm

[img:center][/img]

I think it is important to match up your equipment somewhat, I don't think this guy had the same idea or he got a fast talking salesman.
I am far from an expert but pulled a 20 ft with a gas rig. I found the size to be just comfortable with no trouble getting in or out of places.
The 20 ft made it work a little on mountain passes and I never landed in one of the common graveyards in the windy areas on our side of the state where I have witnessed countless rigs end up. I have even rescued a fair number of those people.
So many add ons to make towing more pleasant now.

Wow, would hate to meet a semi in a strong crosswind in that rig!

That's why I chose the HILO. Wind resistance is a big factor.

That fellow is just asking for trouble, both on & off road with that LWB camper & SWB truck.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI am planning to retire at the end of the year, and looking to buy a camper to tow behind my Tahoe. I have a 2008 Tahoe LS, 5.3L 4x4, 3.73 gears, trailer package. I am looking at 18ft campers like a KZ , may go as big as a 20'. Does this sound like a reasonable setup for my Tahoe or too much camper. I plan to move around some and hunt here and there.

open your door on the truck

theres a sticker on there that has your GVWR and listed how much it can tow.

it'll look something like this (there are several versions of this sticker, depending on age - i just pulled these off the net as an example)
manufacgvwrlabel.jpg

How-to-fin-Towing-capacity-by-VIN-Chevy.jpg

that will give you the limits as to what your vehicle can safely tow

there are no mods you can do to it to legally change those limits - so dont let anyone tell you "oh with a set of add-a-leaf" or "if you change your gears" or "with a set of load leveling air bags" - those kinds of mods are for making it handle those loads better/easier. those GVRW limits are carved in stone the day it leaves the factory.

hth

Good advice from Plant on the sticker. I sold campers and RV's for 25 years, KZ had a good reputation as I remember. Make sure you get a double axel rig. You want a trailer that is a little longer than the tow vehicle, it will be easier to back up. You might be able to go a little longer, say 22' or 24' with very little increase in weight or cost. Over the years I have seen so many customers that wished they had gone a little bigger. Take a look anyway and have an open mind. Try to stay with metal sides, the old tried and true "stick and tin" is the 870 of campers. Look up the BBB file on the dealer before you buy, also get a look at the service dept. Price and cost can be two different things. If you can walk some lots and see if you can find some 5,8,10, year old trailers of the model you are considering, see how they hold up. Some of the most popular models at the shows are crap in five years. If possible visit the dealer on a weekday when they are less busy and can spend more time. Be wary of "ultra lite " trailers. I've seen some that had to have weight added to keep them from swaying all over. Good luck.

I haven't bought anything yet. Looked at a few used ones. Now I am thinking of getting a 16-18ft cargo trailer and converting to a camper.

I would think this is a pretty good time to be buying. With the economy, covid and unemployment and Christmas, people should be ready to get out from under a payment.

I have been looking, but not seeing. Maybe the thought of getting that $600 from Uncle Sam is going to bail everyone out of their financial troubles.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI would think this is a pretty good time to be buying. With the economy, covid and unemployment and Christmas, people should be ready to get out from under a payment.

You would think, but it's just the opposite. Folks are "socially distancing" by getting outdoors. They've been snapping up RVs and ATVs about as fast as they come in, though it's slowing a bit. I have a feeling that in a year or two a lot of those folks will learn there's more owning an RV than just buying it and the used market will be covered up in near-new units. Meanwhile, it seems to be the seller's market.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam
You would think, but it's just the opposite. Folks are "socially distancing" by getting outdoors. They've been snapping up RVs and ATVs about as fast as they come in, though it's slowing a bit. I have a feeling that in a year or two a lot of those folks will learn there's more owning an RV than just buying it and the used market will be covered up in near-new units. Meanwhile, it seems to be the seller's market.

that is what i found also.

i sold a ton of outdoor related stuff/camping/hunting/fishing gear this summer that we no longer used or had a need for. even stuff i thought nobody would buy sold with no problem.

i sold a small tent trailer for a few hundred more than i paid for it.

i sold an a-frame camp trailer for a few hundred more than i paid for it.

it really was kind of crazy.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI haven't bought anything yet. Looked at a few used ones. Now I am thinking of getting a 16-18ft cargo trailer and converting to a camper.

Maybe there's some truth to the old saying that great minds think alike?
tongue_smilie.gif
I've had the same idea lately,to convert a cargo trailer to a camper. I found one for sale that a fellow built for an elk hunt in Montana. His is a 7' x 16' tandem axle. He sprayed insulation into the plywood walls and insulation board on the ceiling. Said it was the perfect setup for the two week hunt. He wired the inside for 115v, installed a roof vent and sliding window, removable bunks and a drop-down table,two metal cabinets, j-tracks and D-rings on walls and floor. Even has room for two 4-wheelers. He added a small generator and a heater. For less than ten grand he built a really neat little camper for off road hunting trips. Oh,his has the heavy duty torsion suspension which he said is crucial for off-road use. I'm going to look at it next week. If it's in as good a shape as it appears in the pics.,the price is right.

Campers & trailers have been a hot commodity in this Covid. Our last was a 21’ trailer, about 3000 lbs. One has to do full evaluation with towing weights, things like, experience, distance, type of terrain & the rest . I always left & wanted a margin with any limits.

From what you are thinking, sounds like an easy tow for your vehicle.

Back