Need help baiting for Bobcat

Mtns2hunt

Got no shortage of rabbits and it appears Bobcats. Would like to live trap one. I have read about every artical on Predator Masters and now suffer from information overload. I need a sensible strategy for live trapping. I have two cages a bottle of Cat man Do lure, some chicken feathers and two dead squirrels.

The plan is to set one trap up wind of a thicket near a hay field where I have seen the cat twice. The other in a gully where I am finding tracks next to a creek.

I will use the chicken feathers (or Turkey) as a visual. Scatter feathers around the trap and inside over the dirt covered floor. The squirrel tail I will hang in the back by wire and add a bit of lure. Also was going to place lure on a stick outside. I will of course brush in the trap and stake down.

Does this sound like a plasible plan? Thought about Bobcat Urine but read that it attacts to many other critters. Also does anyone have experience with the cat man do?

I know I may be over thinking this but that is the way I am. I put a lot of effort into my projects. Thanks for your help.

Cat man do is a good predator lure, I don't have bobcat in my area but I have and do use it for a change up at coyote sets(dirtholes). Follow the label information. Your plan sounds solid, cats don't seem too attracted to rotten bait. I have heard from other trappers that an flashy cd hung up to spin with wind 4-6' above a set is a good attractor. You just want it to spin with very little flutter.

If you have access to beaver, a beaver carcass will draw the cat in. once he starts nibbling on it put it in a cubby with the cage in front. Or cut the carcass in half and wire it in the back of the cage. Cover it well to keep the birds out.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootCat man do is a good predator lure, I don't have bobcat in my area but I have and do use it for a change up at coyote sets(dirtholes). Follow the label information. Your plan sounds solid, cats don't seem too attracted to rotten bait. I have heard from other trappers that an flashy cd hung up to spin with wind 4-6' above a set is a good attractor. You just want it to spin with very little flutter.

Thank you for the feedback. I will try the CD!

Originally Posted By: gotspotsIf you have access to beaver, a beaver carcass will draw the cat in. once he starts nibbling on it put it in a cubby with the cage in front. Or cut the carcass in half and wire it in the back of the cage. Cover it well to keep the birds out.

I don't have access to beaver. However I am told they are considered a nuisance animal and the county next to mine has a open season on them all year. I will ask around to locate one. Thanks, really appreicate the feed back.

Originally Posted By: beaverquackYup. Also cougars and coyotes.

Did the bear tear up your trap? Something tore up one of my rabit box traps last year. Took the screen off the back and left just rabbit fur.

This year I found a bear pile twenty yards from one of my bobcat live traps and would like to avoid cage damage. Should have shot the bear when I had the chance. Hoping he will hybernate.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootAll predators love beaver meat, a small amount of castor works well in predator lure mixes. Curiosity gets the cat.

Have not been able to find beaver meat in my area yet, Still looking. I have some Cat man do lure and "Cavens Gusto." So far only caught a possum. What does castor oil do? Enhace the smell? Both mixtures stink to high heaven even though I have them wrapped three times in plastic bags, coffee cans and a 3 gallon bucket. LOL

It is not castor oil which comes from the castor bean but from the scent glands of a beaver called "castors" you can usually purchase it from dealers selling lure ingredients.

https://www.minntrapprod.com/Beaver-Castor-ground-Lure-Ingredients/productinfo/LIBC01/

You could mix it with beaver oil or catnip oil

you might try some cheap fishbase catfood, I use that for catching feral house cats, "FERAL" not free roaming pet cats. These will about tear you a new butt hole if you try and handle them, they are truly wild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSIt is not castor oil which comes from the castor bean but from the scent glands of a beaver called "castors" you can usually purchase it from dealers selling lure ingredients.

https://www.minntrapprod.com/Beaver-Castor-ground-Lure-Ingredients/productinfo/LIBC01/

You could mix it with beaver oil or catnip oil

you might try some cheap fishbase catfood, I use that for catching feral house cats, "FERAL" not free roaming pet cats. These will about tear you a new butt hole if you try and handle them, they are truly wild.

Castor which comes from the beaver makes sense. I will order some. thanks!

Well, crazy things do happen. I have been trying to get a Bobcat for years by calling and missed the only chance I have had. Decided to try live trapping so that I could get one and if it was little let it go.

I was deer hunting the other night and a very large doe came flying out of the thicket. Thinking that a buck might come behind I was amazed when a cat came charging out right behind the doe. The doe was running down the field with the cat paralleling her. When he turned to intercept her he provided a partial broadside shot which I took at about 70 or 80 yards. Really blew my mind after all the effort I have been puting into trapping one.

I did shoot the cat with a 30-06, same rifle I took a mtn lion with. Fortunatly the bullet never expanded and just drilled through like a steel rod. Cat must be very fragile because I broke the off side shoulder and the bullet never expanded. I hope the picture is visible through the below link.

I will contnue to try to trap one and really appreaciate all the helpful information.

https://u.cubeupload.com/Robsum9/Resized.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. My all around predator bait, ground up canned mackerel, any type ground red meat. Muskrat,beaver,deer,mice,BOBCAT,honey 3-4 oz/gallon to thicken and preserve and muskrat gland lure 1/3-1/2 oz per gallon of bait. Glycol and salt can be added if temps are above 40.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootVery nice. My all around predator bait, ground up canned mackerel, any type ground red meat. Muskrat,beaver,deer,mice,BOBCAT,honey 3-4 oz/gallon to thicken and preserve and muskrat gland lure 1/3-1/2 oz per gallon of bait. Glycol and salt can be added if temps are above 40.

Thanks for sharing! Not having much luck so far but its early yet. Might give your recipe a shot if things don't pick up.

Bobcats love regrowth pine and lorel thickets from when people logged or did some excavation in an area they will also walk the edge of heavy brush but bobcats will walk through the woods like a fox or yote will to if you want to catch a bobcat i love hellfire for a bobcat lure it makes them go nuts and some cat urine but visual attractants are key just know bobcats loose their curiosit quick so its key to throw some curiosity lures in a cage and bobcats arent that smart they just loose interest fast that could seem as they were refusing your cage but keep a couple good lures in a cage withe visual attractants and good bait you will catch a cat if there are some in that area you set up but location is key

Originally Posted By: Ethan1234Bobcats love regrowth pine and lorel thickets from when people logged or did some excavation in an area they will also walk the edge of heavy brush but bobcats will walk through the woods like a fox or yote will to if you want to catch a bobcat i love hellfire for a bobcat lure it makes them go nuts and some cat urine but visual attractants are key just know bobcats loose their curiosit quick so its key to throw some curiosity lures in a cage and bobcats arent that smart they just loose interest fast that could seem as they were refusing your cage but keep a couple good lures in a cage withe visual attractants and good bait you will catch a cat if there are some in that area you set up but location is key

This is a very late reply but thank you for your advice. I will try the [beeep] fire and curiosity lures. I have also noted your advice about the laural thickets and logged areas. I know a couple of areas on public land that fit that description. I will however only call on public land. Traps are inclined to walk.

Trapping is location,location,location. Including when using bait,lure. Most predators are rarely hungry enough to override natural survival instinct, that includes getting them to travel in or through locations they don't feel safe in.

Imo Bobcat are interested more in your set up "visually" than any bait or scent. I had my traps out for months last year. I refreshed my bait ever 2 weeks or less. Had one walk right by one of my set ups i had a trail cam pointed at with Zero interest. Then I finally got dumped on with snow for the first time in the area. The next day I dug all the snow off my traps, the trench in front of them, and the bait hole located at the end of the trenches. I kicked dirt out of the trenches all over the soureounding snow.
I made it look like a predator freshly dug and worked over the area. I used sticks and logs to try and steer what ever was going walk into my trap. Got my first ever bobcat the next day!!!! I tried cat nip, sardines, 2 types of bobcat lure, bobcat urine, bobcat scat,and some fake feathers. We can't use real ones...and any anywhere within 25'of the trap. I also hung up CDs with fishing line as well. I got a double front pad catch!!! To bad it wore the hair wore off where the Duke 650OS held it.

Last edited:
I was all bowhunting yesterday and I heard squirrels going bonkers at about 9:30 in the morning worse than they normally do when they see a predator. Nonstop for about 10 minutes and then the birds were going nuts by me. Literally sounded like Alfred Hitchcock’s the birds! After about 15 minutes or so they started quieting down I knew there had to been a coyote or bobcat in the area but I couldn’t see anything. When I walked out there was a fresh pile of bobcat scat exactly where I placed one of my traps last year! I had fresh snow coming down nonstop so the tracks were gone but there still was a big burn horn in the snow from the scat. He had to have snuck right by me that’s where I had the trap was probably 75 or 100 yards in back of my tree stand. We get drawn every other year for bobcat so I’m sure he’ll be around next year. I had one on each one of my trail cameras in September so if they’re still around. I haven’t had a bobcat in my area that I’ve known of up until about three or four years ago. I believe the DNR planted them. Can’t wait till next year! I’ll have to get some buddies to put in for the bobcat draw and let them trap with me. I want all those rotten things out of there so they don’t eat my turkeys and deer fawn.

iU4qJzA.jpg

It crapped right on top of where I had my foot trap buried last year! I would assume it still visits the spot since I had a lot of bait, scent, bobcat pipe and scat left on the ground when I pulled my trap last year. Looks like he’s been catching and eating squirrels. Got my tanned hide back a few weeks ago. Turned out great! I just need a few more to go with it.

Last edited:
Back