Baiting

Not much going on here either so far. I did have one hit the bait pile a couple weeks back, but I rushed the shot and hit just under him. Should have been an easy kill at 175 yds., but instead it is one more spooked coyote. Actually there are at least two using the field occasionally. One of them is hobbling a little, so I may had gotten some meat on the shot. Now they are all giving the bait pile and a road kill deer carcass a wide berth. Saw them last night with the thermal at about 500 yds.

It’s been really slow here as well. Got two trail camera coyote videos in November and that’s all. None on the bait. The white-legged red fox comes occasionally, and a bobcat sometimes, but no coyotes. Haven’t stayed at the cabin since October. I have hopes for January and February.

I put out a deer carcass in a new spot at 12 noon yesterday. I went back at 3:30 for a deer predator combo sit. Carcass was at 220 yds in a spot where Kay had seen a bobcat two times in the last two weeks but had no shot either time. At 4:00 20 of the 25 buzzards flushed and I knew something was coming. The bobcat charged in all bowed up in the back with his hair standing straight out also snarling. The remaining 5 buzzards flew off. I got in a hurry and botched the shot. Bobcat left what I call plowing, having a hard time getting his front end up. I searched last night and back again for another hour this morning but nada. It is a 7 yr old cut down where he went and just seeing you feet is a chore. Man I hate to lose one.

Always tough to lose an animal. They seem to have a way of haunting your psyche. Most hunters like a clean DRT kill, but it doesn't always happen.

Been slow here also. Got one couple nights ago. Have a pair that are awful jumpy. As soon as I turn the Ir on they bolt. Anyone have a good way to break up the signature on 850nm light? At first I figured I made too much noise, but it's obvious they can see it. Click it on, heads snap up, and gone. Pile is 225 from shed I shoot from.

Sorry if I missed this in the 273 previous pages but for those of you shooting coyotes off bait piles at night, do you have recommendations on adding an IR light to leave shining on the bait at all times to help an IR camera be able to see the bait pile more clearly?
Is there a 920 nm wavelength supplemental flood light that could be used and left on so the coyotes get used to it? I like that the 840 nm wavelength is brighter but worry it would spook coyotes.
Can anyone with experience with this be so kind as to provide advice?

DU and Weekender...it is always tough to miss or not locate a potential hit. We have all had posts on this in the past and it never gets any easier!! I wiffed on one a couple weeks ago, and it aggrevates me for months. I'm with DU however, I am more miffed that I educated one than I am about the miss. Baiting takes some time and effort, then only to educate one by missing...aarrrghhhh!!!
tj and Darknight, I think 6mm06 is way up to speed on these issues. His bait site is at 60 yds and he has also done a lot with lighting up the site itself. He will chime in at some point.
Stay after em guys!!

Although I only use thermal for shooting now, I still have a fairly large 850 IR light that comes on at dark and goes off at daylight. I use it sometimes to see what has triggered the alarm by using my digital monocular without having to open the window.

My setup might not lend itself to most appications since I have the light mounted high on the back of my shop and it shines on the bait pile which is about 30 yds. past the shop. It gives off enough light that I could shoot to my secondary bait pile which is 145 yds. from the house. Coyotes don't pay it any attention at all, but remember it stays on all the time and is 30 yds. away and mounted about 12 feet high. Here is a clip from when I was shooting with a Sightmark Photon. Also my cameras have invisible IR lights.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpAlthough I only use thermal for shooting now, I still have a fairly large 850 IR light that comes on at dark and goes off at daylight. I use it sometimes to see what has triggered the alarm by using my digital monocular without having to open the window.

My setup might not lend itself to most appications since I have the light mounted high on the back of my shop and it shines on the bait pile which is about 30 yds. past the shop. It gives off enough light that I could shoot to my secondary bait pile which is 145 yds. from the house. Coyotes don't pay it any attention at all, but remember it stays on all the time and is 30 yds. away and mounted about 12 feet high. Here is a clip from when I was shooting with a Sightmark Photon. Also my cameras have invisible IR lights.

I'll have to check into something like that. I was just looking at a red solar driveway marker, just so they would get used to red there all the time.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
That's about what I'm looking for, DU. Looking to hook it into a 110v extension cord. Hoping it'll reach about 60 yards. Where do you get ir lights like that?

Last edited:

Darknight, here is a link to a 940nm spotlight I use at my bait site.

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-94...20&sr=8-18M

This light does not give off any visible glow that I can see. Coyotes pay no attention to it. I have mine mounted on a tall 4x4 post that is 25 yards from the bait site. It is DC powered but comes with an AC adapter. I use it differently than you plan. I control it remotely from the cabin via a remote controlled DC switch, available on Amazon and Ebay. The spotlight doesn’t have a great illumination throw like an 850nm does, but it’s more than adequate for shooting, and should enhance your video camera. Mounting the light near the bait site is necessary. A 12 volt battery is required to operate the light. I use a small lawn mower type battery. I also have an 850nm spotlight like the one DoubleUp uses, but rarely do I use it. It does give off the red glow, though.

For constant use with a trail camera or video camera you will need a deep cycle battery and have to keep it charged unless you will mount the light near a 110 outlet.

Here is the DC switch I use. There are various ones available.

https://www.amazon.com/Logisys-RM02-15AM...p;tag=hydsma-20

Here is an example of the 940 spotlight in action. I use it to watch the coyotes before turning on the weapon-mounted 850nm IR. As you can see, I could easily shoot by it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjT1h3hbYB8

Hope this helps.

60 yards is too far. My light is about 25 yards from the light to the center of the bait site. The coyote in the video is at the upper end of the site, probably 30 yards away. The coyote travels on out somewhat to maybe 35 yards.

Sorry I havent read all 364 pages.
Has anyone used a live chicken in a cage to bait coyotes in?
I'm not sure about the ethical part of this, but it is not illegal here.

Back