Best factory round .223/5.56 for coyotes?

Scamp

I have a 16" barrel, 1:8 twist. Recommend me a round. I'm not concerned about the hide. Want them DRT. In my State you can not use FMJ for hunting. What works for you?
Edit: My area is farmland fields, most shots will be 200 yards or less.

Last edited:
Hornady 53 grain superformance seems to be pretty popular with a few killers I know. I'm not sure where you'll find much of anything right now though.

Australian Outback with 55 blitzking bullets has performed well but its out of stock like everything else. I think it will be tough to find anything right now. Great time to be a reloader.

Last edited:
Whatever you select, make sure the manufacturer designed the jacket to not bounce off coyotes. It's usually printed on the back of the box: Anti-Bounce Jacket Technology. If it doesn't say, call the 800 number and ask.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGWhatever you select, make sure the manufacturer designed the jacket to not bounce off coyotes. It's usually printed on the back of the box: Anti-Bounce Jacket Technology. If it doesn't say, call the 800 number and ask.
thumbup1.gif

lol.gif

I recommend the 60gr V-Max. V-Maxes splash if they are driven too fast. I would never use the 40 & 50 gr bullets on a coyote. The 55gr is "iffy" but in the .223/5.56 the 60gr bullet is not going as fast as in a 22-250/Swift/Valkyrie etc. and is a nice, long bullet that has a lot of lead to peel off before it stops. My experience with the bullet is that it penetrates well, often exits and messes up anything in between. There are several manufacturers that load the 60gr V-max in their factory loads. That would be my recommendation. Next in line would be the Nosler Ballistic tip in 55 or 60gr.

Hornady's 55gr sp is a good bullet loaded in the Hornady 50 rd practice line for a good price.
About a half dozen smaller ammo companies use it also it their reloaded lines

55 grain softpoint for an all around good coyote killin bullet. My all time favorite is the Hornady 52 grain BTHP. Killed a bunch with Hornady 55 grain v-max too but have had several runners with that bullet. Especially on running straight away shots. Expect to shoot twice with any bullet when you're shooting a .223 if you're shooting through a hip and other less than ideal angles. That's another reason I shoot a softpoint or other tougher bullets if I can. At that point I'm trying to hit them good enough to stop them to where I can get a second/better shot on them. You can skin and fix big holes so when things get Western I ain't worried about fur damage. Killing as quickly as possible is my only goal. If you hit one running straight away it's probably gonna spin around. Don't let it catch a second wind. Shoot it again .

55 grain Sierra Blitzking, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip and if you reload the 60 grain Sierra Varminter HP is an awesome bullet for killing power and saving pelts if you want to do that.

I've shot coyotes with 40,45,50,52,53 and 55 grain bullets of several makes and models. They'll all do a good job if you hit one where you're supposed to. Lungs,heart,chest or neck. So I'd say whatever you can find right now except FMJ will get you somewhere if you do your part. I've been shooting mainly softpoints the past few season with good results. Exits the size of a quarter or smaller if you're not hitting guts or the edges of a coyote. They're a little rough on bobcats in my limited experience. I've only shot one in the neck with that bullet and it blew a hole in it on the exit side about the size of a half dollar. So I switch to something I know will be easier on fur if I'm targeting them specifically. Hornady 52 grain BTHP is my go to cat bullet. They're a little more fragile than a coyote. If you can find a bonded bullet shoot coyotes through the shoulder or it'll zip through and they'll run a little ways.

Basically any huntin bullet will do fine. Now really isn't the best time to get real picky about what you shoot.

Last edited:
55 Grain V-Max, it’s a pretty controversial bullet and you’ll get a lot of stories of people saying it didn’t work for them for whatever reason. I haven’t killed a ton but enough and the only times it’s let me down was operator error. I only buy this bullet for hunting.

Casey

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Despite these crazy times, ammo is available if you really search on line. I recently got some Hornady V-Max 55gr and Win Deer Season XP 64gr from Cabelas, and I also got some 60gr soft point and 69gr BTHP from Freedom Munitions.
Can't wait to see which ammo my gun likes the best.
Not sure yet what I might use for coyotes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mort98Federal Fusion Ammunition 223 Remington 62 Grain Bonded
That is what I use also and I like them.
Unlike others who continue to have success with Hornady 55gr V-Max, I got tired of seeing the coyote running after hit with the Hornady's.
When I first started using them they were very good but maybe something changed in their design? IDK.

I like using Federal Premium loaded with 55 grain Sierra Game King HP's. I shoot this bullet from my .223's, 22-250's and an 85 grainers from my .243's. Always give excellent results.

Back