Coyote Rifle Build Question

CodyA

I’d like to build a rifle dedicated for coyotes. I’m going to use a 20” barrel to accommodate a suppressor. Since I’m not saving fur I was looking at either a 22 creedmoor or 6 creedmoor but would be interested in other suggestions as well. Is there anything else out there that would be as flat shooting? Also, looking at short action cartridges only.

Last edited:
If I were looking at a short action coyote rifle and not worried about saving fur I would look very hard at the .243 Winchester or the 6mm Remington.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to build another bolt gun. I dont think the 6 creed will be very flat shooting the 105ish grain bullets compared to a 22 caliber or a 243 shooting 55-80s faster. Im leaning toward the 243 shooting 80ish grain bullets just because Im considering a 18" barrel and hopefully the extra case capacity will make up for some of the lost speed. Just like you though doing the research first, 22 creed is 2nd on the list although ammo will be harder to come by.

Beyond just a dedicated coyote rifle, what bullet weight do you want to shoot? I have been a diehard 220 Swift fan for 40 years and love the caliber. My bullet of choice for it today is the Sierra 55gr HPBT.

However, I just worked up a load for a new 243 Win I just picked up using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX bullet. The rifle is a Tikka T3x Superlite. So far I am very impressed with it. One thing about the 243 Win is that it can shoot bullets from 55 gr up to 100 gr so in my opinion, it is very versatile. This is the first 243 Win I have ever owned and while it has been overshadowed by more recent calibers being developed, I would not overlook it. Especially if you are not going to reload for it, 243 Win ammo is a lot easier to find that many of the others in its class.

With a short action bolt rifle most anything is possible from wildcat cartridges to commercial - going the AR route you could also consider a 243 WSSM upper and have a fairly flat shooting rifle.

http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-wssm-upper-receivers.html

I have a couple Remington 700 switch barrel rifles. One of the rifles I have is chambered for is a 22 BRL, which is a wildcat formed from a 300 Savage case and moves a 52 grain Berger at 3930 fps using WW 760 and groups consistently between 0.500 and 0.750 inch. It has a heavy varmint barrel with a 1:14 twist, making it a tad bit heavy.

I just got a 22-250 Brux barrel chambered up for it (#4 contour sporter with 1:12 twist)and haven't broke that one in yet.

I also have a 308 Hart barrel, 1:12 twist, for it that groups right at 0.500 inches at 100 yards indoors with 168 grain matchkings.

The action is trued up and the Jewell trigger is set right at 1.5 ounces and the optic is a boosted Leupold 24X, booster to 32X with BR crosshair.

I just wish that rifle could read the wind better for long range shots.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Type & location of most hunting? Are they any other possible uses? Deer, prairie dogging?

I have a few to many 243’s, though versatile, easy to get ammo(though I reload), the round will still be popular decades in the future.

Remember the hype with the 25 WSSM? Not much mention anymore, though one can scratch ammo or reload if it’s a favorite. Heck, I think my 2 rifles in 284 Winchester are more common.

Originally Posted By: CodyAI’d like to build a rifle dedicated for coyotes. I’m going to use a 20” barrel to accommodate a suppressor. Since I’m not saving fur I was looking at either a 22 creedmoor or 6 creedmoor but would be interested in other suggestions as well. Is there anything else out there that would be as flat shooting? Also, looking at short action cartridges only.

Of the two you mentioned I would go 6 Creedmoor but the old tried and true 243 Win would be a good choice as well. I had a 6CM built not to long ago and it wears a 20in Proof barrel.

If I were to build a new 22 caliber it would be 22 Creed.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootYes to at least a 24 caliber, than you have a possible game rifle for future hunts.

6 deer and dozens of pigs tell the .22 does just fine. If and when I finally get a chance at a speed goat, the .22 Creedmor will be the one I will be toting.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: CodyAI’d like to build a rifle dedicated for coyotes. I’m going to use a 20” barrel to accommodate a suppressor. Since I’m not saving fur I was looking at either a 22 creedmoor or 6 creedmoor but would be interested in other suggestions as well. Is there anything else out there that would be as flat shooting? Also, looking at short action cartridges only.

Of the two you mentioned I would go 6 Creedmoor but the old tried and true 243 Win would be a good choice as well. I had a 6CM built not to long ago and it wears a 20in Proof barrel.

What speeds are you getting from the 20in barrel?

Originally Posted By: CodyAOriginally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: CodyAI’d like to build a rifle dedicated for coyotes. I’m going to use a 20” barrel to accommodate a suppressor. Since I’m not saving fur I was looking at either a 22 creedmoor or 6 creedmoor but would be interested in other suggestions as well. Is there anything else out there that would be as flat shooting? Also, looking at short action cartridges only.

I'd have to check but I'm not standing on it very hard with this first load loading 44gr RL16 w/70 Nosler BT's if I recall it's somewhere around 3400

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: CodyAOriginally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: CodyAI’d like to build a rifle dedicated for coyotes. I’m going to use a 20” barrel to accommodate a suppressor. Since I’m not saving fur I was looking at either a 22 creedmoor or 6 creedmoor but would be interested in other suggestions as well. Is there anything else out there that would be as flat shooting? Also, looking at short action cartridges only.

I'd have to check but I'm not standing on it very hard with this first load loading 44gr RL16 w/70 Nosler BT's if I recall it's somewhere around 3400

Sounds good, thanks!

I've seen 4k w/55's out of a couple different 22" .243's using either H380 or Varget. Pretty flat. At 20" those loads would still be over 3900.

- DAA

At 4,000 that's a fair assessment. Run it up a few hundred fps more and it's pretty much always a mess. Dead mess though.

- DAA

Back