Battery pack for Hogster

Darknight

Just wondering what guys use for a battery pack on the Hogster and how they attach it to the weapon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Probably the problem of battery life is perhaps one of the very few defects of the excellent Bering Super Hogster. I ask you, instead of using a bulky external battery pack, connected to the device with a cable, which exposes it to bumps and tears .... wouldn't it be better to use rechargeable CR123 batteries (maybe even bringing a spare set)?

Good question.

I use a Hogster-r 35mm as my scanner, and I use rechargeable batteries for it. There's a few reasons I wouldn't use them for my rifle scope.
First, even though Bering Optics says that you can use rechargeable batteries, they don't really recommend them.
Second, my Hogster-r eats through rechargeable batteries like a fat man at a buffet. The one minor irritation with the SH is the almost non stop auto nuc when it is first started. Running a battery pack and leaving the scope on all night helps reduce the auto nuc.
Third, while there is some added weight, it's not noticeable enough to not use it when you weight the pros and cons.

I personally use rechargeable batteries with my Hogster 35.
I have 16 of them now and use plastic storacell holders from Amazon for the batteries.
Generally I get two 30 minute sets from a set of batteries even in the cold .

I really like the TRB battery pack from Night Goggles . But with a dvr already mounted to front rail of gun, I’m trying to keep the additional stuff off the gun.

Kirsch had the cleanest setup I’ve seen for External battery setup.
And I believe his dvr was mounted right to the External battery.

There are piks of it here somewhere in the past topics about Hogsters .

Last edited:
TRB battery pack from Night Goggles is the way to go. Turn it on and forget about it. I hated fumbling around with rechargeable batteries.

Although I have the battery pack from NG I removed the battery and attached it to the stock with vet wrap. I recharge the battery while it is on the gun, no problems yet but I have only used this setup for a few months.

Thanks guys, just wondering how guys attached these battery packs. I pictured something that mounts to the handguard m-lock or a picatinny rail. Or are we talking zip ties and in one case, vetrap?

Thanks guys, just wondering how guys attached these battery packs. I pictured something that mounts to the handguard m-lock or a picatinny rail. Or are we talking zip ties and in one case, vetrap?

I've been using this set up with a few different Thermals over the years. Running two of them now on a SH and a new H-R

Battery
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-U...530&sr=8-11

Cable
https://www.amazon.com/aceyoon-Braided-C...694&sr=8-11

30mm ring needs to be lapped. I didn't lap my last one and it was a tight fit.
https://www.amazon.com/ALONEFIRE-picatin...184&sr=8-37

It does not interfere with either of my tripods mounted on top of the rail. It also gives a complete unobstructed view through the scope.

I just ordered the setup nortac posted above, because I already have several different 30mm rings I can try to mount it up and see what I like.

So when using an external battery pack do you leave the 123 batteries in the Hogster or do you remove them? My Hogster isn't here yet (in transit) so I don't have a manual in front of me to look at.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI just ordered the setup nortac posted above, because I already have several different 30mm rings I can try to mount it up and see what I like.

Make sure you lap the ring. Also, a steel ring will not work. The fit will be too tight. I really like the Apex mount but it will not work using my tripods.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXSo when using an external battery pack do you leave the 123 batteries in the Hogster or do you remove them? My Hogster isn't here yet (in transit) so I don't have a manual in front of me to look at.

You can leave the CR123 batteries in or take them out. The external battery will supersede the CR123's. I have done both without issue.

I have a 30mm lapping tool, and several 30mm aluminum light mount type rings. One of them I even chucked up in the lathe and bored it out a bit because it was too tight for a light I was mounting in it. I bet I can figure out a way to open one up a bit if I need to. I will measure it and see what it needs.

I appreciate the input. It gives me a good place to start.

Back