Buck #2 Down

Bowhntr6pt

No doubt about it... the rut is in full swing down here in central FL where I live. Yesterday I saw five different bucks all pestering doe. A really nice one, biggest I've even seen, with [beeep] vines hanging from his antlers ran past me within 50 yards... I yelled, whistled, grunted, NOTHING got him to stop running after the doe who was running from him. Didn't want to risk wounding so no shoot. Figured I see him again this am. No suck luck, I did however bag this older buck.

I rarely ever hunt from the ground but yesterday and today I made a make-shift sniper hide using a folding chair and my Tri-Pod from Night Goggles. The tri-pod made the 165 yard shot doable. I used my Leupold range finder to get distances over the field I was watching... closest woodline was 60 yards, longest possible shot was 289 yards. I knew deer were in this area but I have not had the time to erect a stand so I just hunted from the ground. I just cleared out an area under a clump of sweet-gum trees that had a ring of palmetto bushes around it. Worked great.

thumbup1.gif

Very nice buck BH. I too have been hunting from the ground some and I like it pretty good. Adds to it a little for me. I even bowhunt from the ground quite a bit now. I remember well the first time I bowhunted from the ground. I had mistakingly left my treestand home because of switching vehicals at the last minute. I got to my lease, an hour and a half drive and almost didn't go when I realized I didn't have my old Baker. I went on anyway, sat beside a blown over oak stump and killed a nice 6pt at 25 yds. I haven't hesitated to hunt from the ground since.

Congratulations on a Beautiful Buck,Great Story and Awesome Pictures!Love that Natural Ground Blind Set Up You used to Your advantage!

Back