Suppressed 204 cycling issues

NEHunt

So occasionally I will have a round that wont eject and will have to manually chamber another. I was going to post and ask about an adjustable gas block, but upon closer inspection I noticed my gas block is rotated about 10-20* from being straight up and down on the barrel. This doesnt surprise me with the problems I had with the gunsmith after getting my barrel threaded. Obviously the easiest thing to do is to loosen and adjust it, but just curious if anyone thinks this will likely solve my issue without me having to shoot a box of ammo or try to cycle a random follow up shop in the dark hunting.

Yeah, that can definitely cause your problem. If it worked before it was taken apart, it should work again.

I like adjustable gas blocks with suppressors, so you can tune it to give just enough gas to always cycle. Right now it sounds like you are lacking gas volume for reliable cycling, when you straighten out the gas block you may have way more than you need.

Got it off and looking where it was blackened from firing, it wasnt even close. Hardly letting the usual amount of gas back. The tube looked normal to me so I just put it back together, havent had the time to test it out yet.

Gas blocks can cause the best/worst of performance on a suppressed rig. I would clean that bad boy up and the area where the carbon has built up.

Once you check for proper alignment and snug everything: I would start the usual process of tuning it.

I have a tuned a handful of suppressed rigs if you need any pointers.

TC

Definitely getting enough gas now, but still not cycling well. I had the wrong mag in and not the one with trimmed lips, so have to swap that out and hopefully it will shoot. Luckily all the coyotes are so over called in my area I hardly ever get a shot off anyways.

I would look at Seekins ($56) or Superlative ($90) or Syrac Ordinance ($120).

I have used the Seekins and they make a great product. A lot of it depends on what will fit under/inside of your rail.

TC

Caliber .204
Barrel length:22"
Twist" 1:10
Gas system: Dtech? regualar allen head clamp on, says dtech on it
Type of can: silencer central Banish 30 22cal end cap shortened to 7"
Ammo: factory 40gr vmaxx

I am not as familiar with the .204 Ruger on the AR platform. I know that the pressure can rise significantly once you add the can.

The gas systems out there: pistol, carbine, mid-length, and rifle (there are others, too). That should be easy to visually guess at.

I also remembered a better gas block which is Sentry.

I wonder how your bolt carrier group cycles. Does it feel like its slamming into the buffer tube? Does it seem like it is overworking?

TC

It's a rifle length, my bad. I havent really paid attentino to the BCG its always been in hunting scenarios, for sure get the gas blow back in your face though. If the mag change doesnt fix it I'll run a bunch of rounds through it without a the suppressor to make sure thats the issue, and then buy an AGB.

Yeah try the different mag. But when you say not cycling well, what exactly is it doing now?

The 204 can be tricky because it's longer and less taper. Some rifles would start to chamber a round and it would get caught part way into the chamber. I would not suspect this with a Dtech, especially if he made a special magazine for it. I never knew that he did that but it could make sense.

My opinion, if it cycled before the suppressor just fine, it would have to be somewhat overgassed now and the adjustable gas block would help. You can buy an adjustable, or if you're handy with a drill and tap you can make the one you have adjustable with a set screw.

I agree with 204 AR.

As for blowback, I have done some work on eliminating gas blow-back. That is a whole new thread so start that when you are ready to deal with that issue.

TC

It came with a mag but definitely not a special one. That one never cycled well but I had a Pmag I filed the lips back on, and it fed well out of. TBH I just need to go out and tinker with it shooting paper now, also knowing and AGB will be entirely beneficial. The [beeep] gunsmith job compounded with my own fault of running the wrong mag and the majority of rounds being run through in the dark with thermal have not led to great results lol. Thats totally careless on my part but in my defense not alot of issues I expected to deal with. Ive since swapped the thermal to my 243 bolt gun, put my day scope back on the 204 and will deal with it out of season either pokin paper or at a dog town where I can see exactly whats goin on.

I had mine jam up a bunch of times when I first got it. I think it would only happen when there was a coyote in front of me of coarse! What a rotten feeling haha. Went through a bunch of different mags, couldnt get pmags to work at all. I was also seating my bullets out towards mag length and I think that was a big part of the problem. I started seating bullets deeper and using Lancer mags and it runs perfect now.

If we'd just hit them the first time it wouldn't be a problem huh? haha! Seems to be the most finicky AR-15 I own, but also the one I enjoy shooting the most.

Lol yes, for me its usually a 2nd coyote running away that gives my gun a good cycling test. Another thing that might help, I was using mobil 1 syn oil at first and even with an agb the bolt would get sticky with gas crud really quick. Been using hornady spray lube/cleaner now and seems to be much better.

Back