How to hunt with an older partner who can't get down or up from the ground?

Thanks Terry, I'll look into that one. I am having trouble finding a child's camp stool that isn't pink or some odd color or unlikely to support my 200+lb buddy.

Go with a 7 gallon bucket. They are just a little taller than a 5 gallon bucket. Makes a huge difference. Spray paint it brown. Buy a 1/2 seat ice fishing padded seat for it. When your walking Into stand , seat , camo netting go in bucket. It’s a good set up for guys with knee replacements. MD

A lot of guys have said lawn chair already but I’d like to add to that.
When turkey hunting we use them “mirror ghost blinds” they set up in seconds and provide matching camo to where ever your hunting cause it uses the ground surface for camo pattern

Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANGo with a 7 gallon bucket. They are just a little taller than a 5 gallon bucket. Makes a huge difference. Spray paint it brown. Buy a 1/2 seat ice fishing padded seat for it. When your walking Into stand , seat , camo netting go in bucket. It’s a good set up for guys with knee replacements. MD

I used a bucket for years until I discovered the Mojo Critter Sitter (which has sadly been discontinued, or I'd recommend it hands down). As ND points out, a bucket is handy for carrying all the goodies to stand, then serves as a seat while there. With a slung rifle, it keeps hands free and doesn't mess with your balance too badly (unless you really load it down).

ETA, my dad, who is 70 this year, still uses a bucket on stands he can't stand.

Last edited:
You know, I already have a camo bucket that I used to use to transport my calls in til I got a decent backpack. I think I'll donate the bucket (it has a seat for it) to my buddie so he can sit and shoot. Great idea.

I am this guy-luckily my hunting partner is BIG. He is not always around. I also like to hunt alone-so my solution was to go to my most used stands and revamp them. Took a shovel out and dug a flat spot for my seat-its some king of turkey seat about 8 inches tall. So in front of the seat I dug a hole about 12 to 16 inches deep so I could get one leg lower to help get up. With my sticks to help it works. I have used all of these sets in the last two days-it works OK-but a little deeper hole would be better. Sorry I have no way to send pictures

130525778-2748749342012847-6571448159501734908-o.jpg

Last edited:
DesertRam,
Thanks for the tip. I just ran down to the basement and pawed through my stuff. I have a padded swivel seat on a camo bucket that I had forgotten I had. It looks like I'm pretty fixed up for my friend. Thanks everyone!

Back