Midwest report!

Austin Laughlin

I’m from Central Missouri. Our bow season, all the way up till the rifle opener, was PHENOMENAL! But since the opening weekend, it’s like they’ve disappeared.... Opening weekend, we had hail, a tornado, rain and wind, it was a mess.. On top of plummeting pressures. Same with this weekend, the 2nd and final weekend for MO rifle... I’m blaming it on the weather Lol. That’s all really all I can figure. I’ve seen a few bucks already locked down tight. But I swear, it’s like they’ve vanished. Everyone I know in my tri-county area is scratching their heads. What an odd year. I was wondering what the report is from some of y’all??? I, and many others, have set on fresh cut corn, turnips and brassicas, oak flats, beans, and other food sources.. and have went 3 days without seeing a deer. Right now, THICK CRP, and gnarly hollers are where I’ve seen the few that I have. Which makes me believe it’s lockdown.

I was down for the IL 1st gun season, 30 miles north of Peoria. I saw a good amount of deer, largest being several typical 8 pointers, some at 25 yards. On this property, that’s not enough. I plan to go down for the next period, 3 tags total.

Of of the 3 of us got a good sized 9 point.

Deer sightings exploded yesterday,from about 1:15 till 2:00 yesterday afternoon it sounded like a war in every direction,everybody seeing deer but me.Then about 4:30 deer were everywhere around me.Shot a big doe at about 125 then a few minutes later shot another doe at about 200.Could have killed a good buck 10 minutes later but 2 on the ground a good ways from the truck was already more than this old man needed to get out.Am now a believer in Barnes Triple Shock bullets.

I ended up with an 8 point in IL, then an anterless 20 minutes later. It was a 120 yard shot with the M-L, went about 20 yards after.

As You mentioned the Deer Season started out very good as far as Bow Seaon...as We got past the first opening weekend of Rifle Season the Deer were moving a lot and plenty of Bucks Cruising and chasing Does....it slowed down thru the week and most Deer wised up fast and weren't moving til early morning heading back to bedding and coming out in the late evening just before dark.

I saw more Doe's and Fawns in the mornings and Evenings...then we had our Doe Only weekend and the Deer were pretty well nocturnal and we didn't see much movement but there was lots of fresh ground scrapes so the Bucks were probably in the second Rut.Now We will have our Alternative/Muzzle Loader Season at the end of December and into Jan...hopefully the Deer will be back to their normal routine?

Last edited:
Back