Phenom Accessories

Kirsch

Two things some may want to do to their Phenoms:

Objective Cover: The one that comes with the Phenom is horrible. It doesn't stay in place and is hard to put on.

I found the following 3 options. They all have their pros and cons, but I think I am going to go with #1:

#1) Opticron Rubber Objective Cover:

Phenom_Cover.jpg

Phenom_Cover2.jpg

#2) Butler Creek Size 29 Flip Open Cap

Butler_Creek.jpg

#3) Butler Creek 28-29 Multiflex Cap

Neck Harness: I have mine on a selfie stick. However, for those of you who want to wear it around your neck, you can get a Fastener that connects into the Tripod Connection to attach a Lanyard to.

Do you think any of these options would work for the hogster 25? If so how would I now what size to get for it?I really don’t like the lens cover it came with.

Originally Posted By: ToroDo you think any of these options would work for the hogster 25? If so how would I now what size to get for it?I really don’t like the lens cover it came with. I don't believe this will fit as the Phenom has a larger lens plus I am putting this over the top of the existing focus ring.

I don't have a 25 to measure, as I own the 35, Super Hogster and Phenom. I would take a calipers and measure the outside diameter or hopefully another member of PM can do that. Butler Creek has charts showing what lens caps work with what sizes.

Korey; would you mind listing your pro's and con's for each of the lens covers?

I have a phenom and agree the one that comes with it is not good as it never stays in place.

It is a fantastic scanner though!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pro_huntKorey; would you mind listing your pro's and con's for each of the lens covers? I have a phenom and agree the one that comes with it is not good as it never stays in place.
I've only used the Butler Creek size 29 so far in the field, but will try to list the pros and cons. I am putting these over the rubber focus ring already on the unit.

Butler Creek size 29: It was OK. Opening was easy, but it was hard to get it to click sometimes to stay closed. The other thing I didn't love was trying to focus it with this cap on. As I was typing this, I had an idea. I used one of the Focus Extenders I am always talking about. This allows me to adjust focus easily. The cap is still a little hard to close but I think I might go with this option now.

Butler_Focus.jpg

When taking it off, it is so tight, it pulls the rubber focus ring off with it. Don't freak out as you haven't damaged anything, but still kind of unnerving.

Butler Creek Multiflex: It is about the same as the size 29, but seemed tighter. Due to its flexibility, it wouldn't work as well to put on a focus extender like shown above, so I would either go with the first option or the Opticron.

Opticron: It fits really nice over the rubber piece like it was made to work with it. Tight enough to stay but easy to slip over to close. It comes with an extra in case one breaks or rips but is about 2x the cost as the others. If not for the focus extender idea, this was going to be my choice. I may keep them anyway because it fits so nice.

All of these options may impact the sensor for the compass but I don't use it on my Phenom anyway.

Originally Posted By: mbaysinger89Can you find out what the objective threads are? I you are referring to the inside threads of the objective, I can check, but I don't know that I would recommend threading something on there. What did you have in mind?

I normally check on things like this with Bering, but I will suggest you send a message to sales@beringoptics.com. I don't want to recommend something and then find out, there is a reason not to thread something on there.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Pro_huntKorey; would you mind listing your pro's and con's for each of the lens covers? I have a phenom and agree the one that comes with it is not good as it never stays in place.
I've only used the Butler Creek size 29 so far in the field, but will try to list the pros and cons. I am putting these over the rubber focus ring already on the unit.

Butler Creek size 29: It was OK. Opening was easy, but it was hard to get it to click sometimes to stay closed. The other thing I didn't love was trying to focus it with this cap on. As I was typing this, I had an idea. I used one of the Focus Extenders I am always talking about. This allows me to adjust focus easily. The cap is still a little hard to close but I think I might go with this option now.

Butler_Focus.jpg

When taking it off, it is so tight, it pulls the rubber focus ring off with it. Don't freak out as you haven't damaged anything, but still kind of unnerving.

Butler Creek Multiflex: It is about the same as the size 29, but seemed tighter. Due to its flexibility, it wouldn't work as well to put on a focus extender like shown above, so I would either go with the first option or the Opticron.

Opticron: It fits really nice over the rubber piece like it was made to work with it. Tight enough to stay but easy to slip over to close. It comes with an extra in case one breaks or rips but is about 2x the cost as the others. If not for the focus extender idea, this was going to be my choice. I may keep them anyway because it fits so nice.

All of these options may impact the sensor for the compass but I don't use it on my Phenom anyway.

Thanks Korey!

I didn't realize the rubber focus ring came off until I put a tight Butler Creek around it. The fit was so tight the rubber focus ring came off with I removed the endcap. So, my answer is no I did not. I would guess there is a Butler Option that would probably fit without the rubber focus ring. With keeping the rubber focus ring on, I know everything is tight and it won't let any water, dust or other elements into the electronics that may occur if a person opens up that area. For this reason alone, I would probably recommend keeping it on.

Back