Iowa coyote snaring report

mulespurs

I used to snare about 25 years ago, quit because of a town job.

Decided to run a few snares this fall for coyote just for fun. I got the 14 year old neighbor kid to ride shotgun and learn a bit.

So far the tally is 1 coyote on the stretcher,1 raccoon on the stretcher and a 55 lb beaver from a 2 foot wide creek skinned and ready to stretch.

Then during this mornings run another coyote, that chewed off my 5/64" cable just as we checked. Sorta like the big fish that breaks your line when you bring him to the boat.

"Rat's" we said or something like that.

All within a mile of the house.

If I buy any more snare cable it will be 3/32" no more 5/64".

Iowa you have to have a deer stop, that might work against you sometimes.

I think I would rather use breakaways, but not legal here.

Kinda fun taking a new guy along.

So when we checked this morning we found two that we had had chewed or twisted off.

Regrouping and adding more swivels.

Later Ray

Swivels, kill springs, and longest cable for the set. I run at least 7' in open area, kill spring helps a bunch( with a good lock, not the old bent washer).

That sucks. I love snaring. My snares also have a deer stop. But in Arkansas if u r 20ft or less from water no deer stop. I haven't had one chew out yet. I was using 7x7 5/64 a coon almost did. I am running 36 inch 1x19 5/64 mini pro lock. A #6 barrel swivel 36 inchs 7x7 3/32. In Arkansas u can only use a one piece lock. I have went to kill poles on everything. I like them there easy to use. No looking for a place to tie off to. Or have to carry a snare support. Beaver or coyote can't chew them up.

Mn now requires a breakaway(must open the loop). The long snares I usually run will allow a coyote to open the loop in non tangle situations. So I'm looking at a slightly shorter cable and a loaded kill spring, to help reduce the momentum during end to end runs against the cable.

Back