Got myself a Handi Rifle in .223

DKG

Picked up a handi rifle from a family friend along with a good bit of ammo for a steal of a deal. Having never hunted with this round, what should I expect for effective range with a round it likes? Also looking for feedback on the ammo I have for it.
I got winchester 55 grain soft points, about 6 or 7 full boxes of remington 55 grain soft points and a box of winchester supreme 40 grain silver tips with the rifle and managed to get my hands on a few boxes of Hornady Varmint express 55 grain V-Max. I have seen how the Vmaxs work from a friends rifle, but never the others.

I had one of those and the best it shot was about 6-8 inch pattern at 100 yards,and I don't mean an occasional flier. It looked more like a shotgun.It shot this way no matter what was loaded in it.NEF thought they were Weatherby and put a throat that would make any normal shooter replace the barrel as shot out.

They generally are not very accurate from the box! The H&R varmint that I owned liked the lighter stuff as far as accuracy.
Bear is right! But its not just the throat!! The whole chamber is cut to max sammi specs.. It's set up that way to lower pressure! Seems like a backward A$$ idea to me! But may reflect there view of how strong there frames are??

In my experience you will need ALL those rounds to get a somewhat consistent pattern. Just my opinion but they should have stayed with just the shotgun line on that platform. Good luck

My personal experience is similar to the above comments. Bad enough that I doubt I would ever own another unless it was a gift or one of the rifled slug guns. But on a flip side, a member of the gun club has one in 25-06 that shoots very good. I don't know why its different than the rest but I've seen it shoot some very tight groups.

Over the years I can recall two of those that shot pretty good. One was a .22 Hornet and one was a .204 Ruger. The guy that owned the .204 had a .223 caliber as well and it shot terrible bad groups with anything you put in it. His .204 would at least shoot less than an inch with the factory Hornady 32 grain ammo. Not super good but not too bad either.

I guess I'm odd man out. I've only been around 2 H&R/NEF rifles in .223 and they both shoot inch or better with decent ammo.

My old smith who has passed away, use to stub the Handi Rifles. I was told they shot really well after he did that. He did several rifles for some guy and said they shot good. IDK, never saw them after he did the work.

Originally Posted By: Al HansenI had a .17 HMR that I sold and kick myself for getting rid of it. Great little shooter.

I owned a NEF 17hmr that was capable of really good accuracy as well.
There is no doubt that quality with these rifles are at best a hit or miss proposition. They are not all bad though! Its just luck of the draw..

I definitely got it cheap enough with the ammo to make money if I decide to get rid of the rifle (I paid $250 for everything). Honestly, every one I've seen has shot pretty well, these are the first I am ever hearing of any accuracy issues. I believe the person I purchased it from was getting around an inch at 100 with one of the rounds, but I can't remember which.

Originally Posted By: Coyote#1Originally Posted By: Al HansenI had a .17 HMR that I sold and kick myself for getting rid of it. Great little shooter.

I owned a NEF 17hmr that was capable of really good accuracy as well.

I have one too. Out shot 2 rugers for half the price. I cut it to 16" and threaded it. Fun as [beeep] to shoot.

I had one in 17 hmr that shot great,the only complaint I had with it was when I took it to a prairie dog town the hammer spur tore my thumb up after 2 boxes of ammo

Originally Posted By: DKGI definitely got it cheap enough with the ammo to make money if I decide to get rid of the rifle (I paid $250 for everything). Honestly, every one I've seen has shot pretty well, these are the first I am ever hearing of any accuracy issues. I believe the person I purchased it from was getting around an inch at 100 with one of the rounds, but I can't remember which.

Yea thats cheap enough! you didn't get hurt at all.. If it shoots 1MOA that will make it a good close to moderate range coyote rig.. The good thing about the 223 is U can use 222 rem mag brass if you hand load to set up the headspace so the brass will last alot longer.. Good luck to ya! Hope it shoots satisfactory.

Originally Posted By: pdog2062I had one in 17 hmr that shot great,the only complaint I had with it was when I took it to a prairie dog town the hammer spur tore my thumb up after 2 boxes of ammo

I forgot about the .17 HMR version that I shot. Hunting partner had one. OK, it did pretty good I will admit. Was able to take prairie dogs out to 150 yards or so easier than I thought it would. Was the first .17 HMR that I ever fired. I later bought me my own .17 Hummer but it was not an H&R.

Back