New guy checking in, Southern Oregon

PB9611

Hi all. After seeing more coyotes than ever around here, I've decided to try to be be part of the solution. I'm 58, and have hunted/shot most of my adult life. I do have a few questions though. I have a FP Inferno, what would be a good couple of mouth calls to go with it? And what situations would warrant using a mouth call over an electronic and vice versa? Also, who here hunts with dogs? I don't mean using them to hunt coyotes, but who's dog tags along when you go hunting. I can't hardly leave the house without my lab. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take her along when hunting coyotes. I do use the search function, but I promise I'll have many more stupid questions for you all.

Handcalls are interesting as one call fits a guys style of calling and maybe not for the next guy.
Handcalling becomes individualized by passion or emphasis and so becomes luring in a high pressured electronic call environment.
Constant electronic sound can be better for cats or bears.
For me, Randy Anderson Lil Dog and kiyi, carver calls, tweety, zepp calls and a few customs from here are with me all the time.
Dogs, if legal, can be a benefit or hindrance depending on the dog and time of year.

Very well put Tripod.

Back when I was learning how to use handcalls I used to put a Johnny Stewart jackrabbit cassette in my trucks player and try to accompany it on my way out to eastern Oregon. I think it helped me get the cadence a little more realistic. Like Tripod says, I will pretend like I'm being devoured alive by something and scream and wail my bloody guts out. I'm a saxophone player so I know how to get some life out of the reeds.

Thanks guys. I've been primarily a waterfowl hunter for the last 18 years or so. Meaning I have no problem going down the call rabbit hole! I've literally owned hundreds of duck and goose calls before narrowing it down to a few of my favorites.

I found that hand calling was tiring to squall like I was dying. I prefer the more relaxing electronic calls with less movement. Plus you can put the call way out in front so you can catch the dogs approaching down wind more out in the open.

I think you're on the right track to have both electronic and hand calls. A situation where I like hand calls is when there is limited or short cover and I don't want to risk extra movement if putting the caller out away from me. Also, heavily hunted yotes may get used to hearing some popular sounds so hand calls give you the freedom to sound original.

Back