Doing something wrong with pup distress???

I often will try sounds with different emphasis on my friends or ranchers dogs in hopes they might know it's me and won't come a distance to ruin a set.
In doing so they may come over to investigate and listen. The one call sound that repeatedly brings their ears up is pup whine, even if it was just an hour ago.

I have been using a 12 volt gel cell battery on my Foxpro's with two speakers since 2008. My callers are very loud. On every stand I make I will reach full blast volume 40.

On some of the sounds that are not very loud I will play them on volume 40 the entire time I use that sound. After calling for 6 to 8 minutes I will go to a loud Jack Rabbit sound and play it on full blast for about a minute and then turn it down. Many times I have a coyote or coyotes show up within 4 to 5 minutes after playing a loud sound on full blast.

Every time I use coyote vocals it is on full volume 40.

In country with hills, mountains and canyons the coyotes are not always in a perfect spot to hear your sounds. Many times I have driven my vehicle right up to within 100 yards of coyotes, deer and elk and they didn't hear my vehicle. It may have been because the wind or breeze was blowing from them towards my vehicle.

I call against the wind or breeze 95% of the time and that maybe why high volume has worked for me using it sometime during every stand I make.

If you use full volume for just 30 seconds to a minute or use Pup Distress 3 at the end of your stand on full blast your sounds will be heard by more coyotes over the long run.

Quite a few years ago 3 of Foxpro's most popular sounds were some of the loudest sounds Foxpro had at that time.

Whatever works for you keep doing it until you do something else.
smile.gif

Might start out with a coyote bark for 10/15 seconds. Then either a cottontail, snowshoe or jackrabbit squeal. Maybe a pheasant call, prairie dog or vole depending upon your area.

Coyotes always seem to be hungry, so if they are in the area they will come - major problem is how smart are they and how smart are you? If they are educated - meaning they have survived their 1st year - they will probably want to get the scent and if you haven't taken that into consideration in establishing your hide location - he'll flake you and you'll never see him.

I would imagine night thermal hunting is different whereas you'll see him a ways out maneuvering to get your scent.

Sometimes they just aren't in your area when you set up. I've wasted some gas driving around at night to locations I've spotted in the day time and just set up the caller and territorial howled or challenge howled - if I hear a response, I know that area contains a coyote/coyotes and I'll give it a go in the next day or two. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't.
smile.gif

Living in snow country, you can waste gas driving back roads at 6AM immediate after getting a couple inches of snow looking for tracks - a good indicator that a coyote might be in the area or at lease close enough to hear your caller.

Pup distress, adult distress, food fighting, hunting whines, cow calf distress, crow distress - they all work - sometimes
smile.gif
. Sometimes you get cattle, deer and more coming to those sounds.

The above is in context to day hunting - night thermal hunting seems to be a lot more productive relative to seeing and shooting at coyotes - almost like using hounds on a mountain lion hunt.

Young guys will hike in to a hide and call for 10/15 minutes and move on - a very experienced coyote hunter might hike in and stay for 30/45 minutes calling and eat a snack before walking back to the pickup. Both can be successful.
cool.gif
experienced used in this sense can also be interchangeable and called an elderly senior citizen.

I called in fox & coyote back in the early 60's using a Herters field record player using scratchy 45 rpm records of a squealing rabbit. Wish I still had that set up just to see if it would still work relative to bringing in a hungry coyote. Either the coyote has gotten smarter or the marketing guys have gotten smarter whereas they have us purchasing all types of expensive equipment for calling coyotes.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: dan brothers I'm convinced that if you only had one call to work with... the pup in distress would be it.

only 1 sound? i will take rabbit. with no hesitations.

Yup, me too.

But I've called a bunch with Pup #3. But I've never called many with any sound, after 15 minutes on stand. On the occasions I stay that long, I'm just throwing crap out there for the crap of it mostly - generally I have very little hope of anything working after that long.

Most of the coyotes I've called with pup distress were there within the first five minutes of the stand. Same as with any other sound.

You might just try using it as a primary, starting sound. See if that makes a difference.

- DAA

hey you forget the magic effect of tim's howler. gotta be worth an extra coyote a day on average. if you're only getting 2 coyotes a day if you're lucky doesn't seem very worth it to sit 15 minutes. sitting that long seemed to make more sense when the calling was better.

"I called in fox & coyote back in the early 60's using a Herters field record player using scratchy 45 rpm records of a squealing rabbit. Wish I still had that set up just to see if it would still work relative to bringing in a hungry coyote. Either the coyote has gotten smarter or the marketing guys have gotten smarter whereas they have us purchasing all types of expensive equipment for calling coyotes. crazy"

Been there done that and agree completely. I think all the bells and whistles are to sell callers.

Something like a CS-24 w/20 sounds and a simple reliable remote would call every coyote I'd want to kill. Imagine all the good callers that kill coyotes with just a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it and a reed inserted, no foxbang, foxfade, moonphase entry, etc.

Last edited:
I have never called a coyote in with any kind of electronic coyote vocals. But, hurt pup on a mouth call is my go to call and has taken a fair amount of coyotes over the years.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Thanks you guys. I took a personal day on Monday to shoot a pronghorn doe, but maybe ill start the day off with a couple of stands.

Onky question I still have is how long on the stand? 20 minutes still ok. Longer?

Quote:
Onky question I still have is how long on the stand? 20 minutes still ok. Longer?

Some guys limit it to 15 min and run, I know many that go 20-30 min, I'm stubborn and will hold out 45 or more if success doesn't come sooner.
Getting out and to another set is not as simple for me, so it justifies extra effort. I have left sets earlier only to see one coming in.

Only been 4 times so far, started on the 1st. Every dog I've called has been with pup distress. Called 6, taken 3. 1 dog was only pup distress, the rest were rabbit for 15 minutes, then pup distress before moving. Each time for the first 1-2 minutes of pup distress i had one come in. Its been my go to call and my most successful for the past 10 years or more.

Back