FNG 22-250

The OP said his budget is $1000. Doesn't go very far building a switch barrel rifle and a S&B scope.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who posted. Since I live in Cali I'm going to go with a Tikka .243 instead of 22-250. I would have never thought of the barrel twist or the difference in shooting lead vs lead free so thank you.

I took he meant his rifle was limited at $1K and a switch barrel rifle can be had for that price if you get the action at a decent price.

Hard to get a high quality scope for under $1,400 and the S&B PMII's in 5-25X56 rarely go under $2K used but they are a great bargain if you can score one for $2K or $2,200 used with your desired reticle.

Eddie, if you go the Tikka route, you should have money left over to buy a decent scope. Not top of the line but a decent scope. Vortex Diamondback or maybe a Leupold. Either will serve you well and keep you close to budget, give or take a little $$. A 3x9 power range is plenty for coyotes IMO. Not being a reloader, your stuck with factory ammo. You may have to try several different brands and weights till you find what your rifle shoots best. But, Tikka's aren't real finicky so it may be an easy search. PS, save your brass. If you ever start reloading it will be one thing you don't have to buy. Or, you can always sell it to buy more ammo.

Eddie, when I bought my Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win last month, I also picked up a box of Barnes Vor-TX ammo which uses the 80 gr TTSX bullet. That is the bullet I wanted to reload but wanted to see how it shot the factory ammo.

Right out of the box it shot the factory ammo 1/2 inch MOA at 100 yards. I thought to myself, why would I want to reload when the factory ammo shoots this good? Well, I have been an avid reloader since the late 70's and I like the hobby. Plus, I have plenty of brass and other components so why not?

I also put a Leupold 4.5-14 40mm with the CDS dial on it, which is very high quality. In fact, you do not even have to spend that much, you can buy the scope below right now for $359 dollars which would be a great scope to put on that rifle.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-leupold-vx-3i-3-5-10x40mm-riflescope.html

If I were sitting in your shoes, I would probably get that Tikka, put the above scope on it and shoot and factory Barnes ammunition.
Whatever choice you make, have fun with it!

Last edited:
Also check out the Bergara B14 Ridge Rifles. Great quality and accurate. Also has a 1:9 twist. Which is the main reason I bought this for those heavier bullets vs my 1:14 twist Ruger Hawkeye. Also have one in the 6.5 creedmoor 18” barrel version.

That’s great to hear. Thanks for dropping the scope recommendation, I’ll prob choose that or a vortex. Makes it easier for me choose though which is great. I’ll def keep my brass cause you never know where ammo market will be in the future especially in California. Thank you.

I had Tika for many years so reliable so accurate but bit heavy in bull barrel, but I was a lot younger then so could carry it with ease!!

Have 2 Tikkas 223 and 22-250 am very pleased with them.If you go 243 route I have a never fired Tikka 243 barrel 20 inches long I could make you a deal on if ever 1 is needed.It was a takeoff I bought then had a change of plans

Back