Question about twist rate?

gpjohnson

I have two rifles that I would like to find the barrel twist rate. The first is a Remington Model 700 VSSF, 26" barrel, in 22-250. The second is a Remington Model 700 SPSS, 26" barrel, in .204 Ruger. I attempted to contact Remington, but we can all guess how that turned out. I purchased some 53gr VMax bullets for the 22-250, but prior to loading, I noticed that the manual stated that a 1-14 twist would not stabilize the bullet. Can someone tell me what the twist rates are or tell me who I can contact to get this information? Thank you.

Put your cleaning rod with a snug patch in the barrel, mark the top of the rod just in front of the handle and another mark at the bore guide. push the rod through the barrel until the handle mark comes full rotation. mark it again at the bore guide, pull the rod out and measure between the two marks. distance is the twist,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gotspotsPut your cleaning rod with a snug patch in the barrel, mark the top of the rod just in front of the handle and another mark at the bore guide. push the rod through the barrel until the handle mark comes full rotation. mark it again at the bore guide, pull the rod out and measure between the two marks. distance is the twist,

gotspots nailed it. IIRC, Remington liked 1:12 for factory .22-250. Sako and Tikka generally use 1:14. 53 gr is on the edge for 1:14 but that doesnt mean it wont work.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIt would surprise me if your 22-250 wasn't a 1/14. The 204 is probably a 12 twist.

Correct. All Rem 700 22-250's came with 14tw barrels so if it's all original it's a 1-14 twist and as spotstalkshoot said the 204 would have a 1-12 twist.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIt would surprise me if your 22-250 wasn't a 1/14. The 204 is probably a 12 twist.

Correct. All Rem 700 22-250's came with 14tw barrels so if it's all original it's a 1-14 twist and as spotstalkshoot said the 204 would have a 1-12 twist.

Yep. ^^ This^^

Twist rate is the major concern relative to bullet choice, but so is velocity and length of bullet. Most 1:14 twist barrels won't shoot bullets over 55 grain very well but some will, as factory barrels aren't that precise - meaning they may measure from 13.5 twist to 14.5 twist or anywhere in between.

The V-Max is a longer bullet than most and will probably shoot larger groups than desired but you won't know until you try them in your rifle. I would try a common load 1st - if no go, then push hard.

I have a 1:14 twist barrel in 308 and it shoots 168 grain matchkings extremely well but that twist rate is on the cutting edge - safer to go 1:12 for the 168 grain but the cutting edge is where you want to be, if you can.

My AR's are 1:7 & 1:8 and love 68 to 77 grain bullets but really dislike 52 & 55 grain bullets - for those lighter weight bullets in my AR's it took time, powder & bullets to stumble upon a load that was acceptable for coyotes but not for prairie dogs - talking 250/300 yards.

I have a first edition Rem 700 VSSF in 220 Swift. It is a 1:14 twist and I believe the 22-250 was the same, as stated above. My preference in a varmint caliber such as these two, is to shoot a lighter bullet, faster. After all, that is how these calibers were intended to be shot.

I have shot everything from a Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade at 4400+ fps up to a Hornady 60 gr HP at 3500 fps but my "go to" bullet is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT for my 220 Swift. If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet I would recommend going to a 243 Win, 6mm, etc. I just worked up a load for my new 243 Win using a Barnes 80 gr TTSX that will be wonderful in that caliber.

We each have out preferences but in my opinion, the traditional varmint calibers were not built to shoot heavy for caliber bullets. A lot of guys do it but I have always had more of a speed and flat trajectory kind of mindset.

I have to agree with WyBull and pyscodog...at what point do you step up to the next caliber for heavier bullets. I shoot 50's in my .22-250's and .223's then step up to the .243 for 65's, 70's and 75 gr.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a first edition Rem 700 VSSF in 220 Swift. It is a 1:14 twist and I believe the 22-250 was the same, as stated above. My preference in a varmint caliber such as these two, is to shoot a lighter bullet, faster. After all, that is how these calibers were intended to be shot.

I have shot everything from a Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade at 4400+ fps up to a Hornady 60 gr HP at 3500 fps but my "go to" bullet is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT for my 220 Swift. If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet I would recommend going to a 243 Win, 6mm, etc. I just worked up a load for my new 243 Win using a Barnes 80 gr TTSX that will be wonderful in that caliber.

We each have out preferences but in my opinion, the traditional varmint calibers were not built to shoot heavy for caliber bullets. A lot of guys do it but I have always had more of a speed and flat trajectory kind of mindset.

Sound advice all the way around........
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WyoBullWe each have out preferences but in my opinion, the traditional varmint calibers were not built to shoot heavy for caliber bullets. A lot of guys do it but I have always had more of a speed and flat trajectory kind of mindset.

WyoBull, not disagreeing with and I think this is probably the most important take away "We each have out preferences" but in all fairness those two cartridges were designed somewhere around the 1930's and I doubt there were any 22 caliber bullets available that weighed much over about 50gr if that so to say they weren't built or designed to shoot heavy for caliber bullets like are available today how would we really know when they not only didn't have the bullet selection we do now but no where near the available powders of today either.

Last edited:
If you own 22-250's or 220 Swifts with 1-12" or 1-14" twists just hope you are never forced into having to shoot lead free bullets.

Back