How to hunt with an older partner who can't get down or up from the ground?

Hellgate

I have an older hunting partner who can't really get down onto the ground in a low sitting position for calling. If he gets down it's a bear getting him up (200+ lbs to my 170) due to bad hips. I'm 70 myself but still pretty agile. I do the calling (usually with electronic calls and remotes). He needs to sit or stand but that puts him up and more exposed than I'd like. He will often stand by a tall thick corner fence post or power pole but any movement is readily visible. Should I get him a lawn chair? We often hunt in pretty open wheat country. I do put him up against rock outcroppings where his camo matches pretty well but I haven't brought a dog in yet with him standing. Any hints or suggestions? Ghillie suit for him? Big fake cow silhouette to shoot from? Put him on steep slopes? My other hunting buddies are even older but still able to go prone or sitting without effort. I want to keep him hunting but it's a bit maddening to be so limited. And he just bought a new Savage .223 rifle.

A very tough situation, a chair may be best choice even if it complicates a good set.
I often let myself to the ground with my arms, then fold up my wheelchair.

Good on you for keeping your friend in the game.

Will the ground facilitate pushing some sticks or pvc pipe into the dirt to hang a piece of camo net from? A small backpack would hold the necessary hasty blind building materials with a light-weight folding chair.

Hope you find an easy solution that keeps your friend involved.

I'm in the same situation, getting off the ground is tough. I wear a ghillie jacket and use a small stool, it hasn't seem to be a problem for me.

The little 3 legged stool to the right of center works the best for me coyote hunting as I'm not on a stand long enough to need a back rest. The little stool straps right on my rifle back scabbard.
13wIyE.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSI'm in the same situation, getting off the ground is tough. I wear a ghillie jacket and use a small stool, it hasn't seem to be a problem for me.

The little 3 legged stool to the right of center works the best for me coyote hunting as I'm not on a stand long enough to need a back rest. The little stool straps right on my rifle back scabbard.
13wIyE.jpg

the third seat from the left is the one i own and use & IMO has the best packability and folds into a tube shape fits in a pack nice and has height to see at day or night and would be the easiest to get up from for someone...Good Luck!
thumbup1.gif

73226879_2749717051775084_1775614534719897600_o (1) by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’d go with the light lawn chair with camo netting. Put the gun on a light tripod and there’s hardly any movement. Very uncomfortable trying to get low especially with heavy clothes on.

I am almost 68 years old and I have no problem laying prone or sitting on the ground, but getting back up on my feet 15 to 25 minutes later can be a major project! LOL

I bought a Browning Turkey hunting chair that makes it much more comfortable to sit for long periods of time and it makes it much easier to get back on my feet.
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-Strutter-Hunting-Chair/dp/B07RWL4FQH

With this chair I think it works better for shotgun hunting than it would for using a rifle.

I give you credit for your willingness to help and being considerate of others needs. I’m 79 and in reasonably good health but I personally chose to not inconvenience others with my limitations

I would definitely get him a small folding chair. I get around pretty well but sometimes getting out of a "tripod" style stool is challenging and it would be very easy for him to fall over. Stick with a chair!

How far are you walking to the hide? I wouldn't think very far, so just get a chair. Anytime you don't blend into the surrounding environment the coyote will notice it but will still come in to the decoy - usually/maybe, and a ghillie suit won't help in the open.

At 70 you're still fairly spry, if no health problems, but add another 6/7 years and it's not as easy to maneuver around. Going prone calling coyotes is for those who are either desperate or what?

I haven't gone prone or crawled on varmints since high school - crawling on Antelope in Wyoming at any age is plain torture, but one usually does it at least once before either being better prepared for the terrain or coming up with a plan B.
smile.gif

Just get a solid chair so you don't created any more problems for your friend and choose hides where you all can blend in and just enjoy yourself out there - killing a coyote is just frosting on the cake.

Having friends like you is precious, as there's not many still around at your age and even fewer that get out and enjoy Nature as much as possible. Keep at it and keep laughing at all the phrases that start with "I use to---".

Thanks everybody. I think a chair and judicious selection of set ups is in order. We'll hike out to a set and when it's over I go get the rig and drive to where I can pick him up. We call a lot of edges of stubblefields & CRP. He will often let my older brother & I hoof it off into the dingweeds then when he sees us coming beck he'll fire up the rig and come get us because he can't hike a half mile to a stand but knows he can help. Thanks guys, you are an inspiration.

Good on you for keeping your friend hunting.

I was doing great until 75 but by 80 getting up became a chore. Fortunately, Academy used to have a very sturdy children's folding camp chair that folds into 6-8" size which can be easily grasped along with a set of sticks. The low seat allows elbow placement on knees for very stable shooting platform.
48417815451_317d1e7a7e_c.jpg
35534423032_fa4f0d483a_c.jpg

The seat is about 12" off the ground which is a big help when getting up; the sticks come in handy sometime as an assist in pushing up when the arthritis is acting up.

Adding a bit of ghillie netting to the shooting sticks works far better than a suit in the thorn brush of S. TX and is sufficient to cover most hand movements on stand.
35703381665_5bb0df56d9_o.jpg

Regards,
hm

HM1996,
That second picture is pretty much what I have in mind. I think he has a Primos bipod shooting stick.
Thanks,
Tye in Orygun

Hope you can find one, Tye. My partner and I bought one ea. probably 15 years ago. They're built really stout, but the canvas finally started to wear and we've both sewn them up. I bought another one, probably 5 years ago and am mostly saving it for when I can no longer patch the old one, 'cause I haven't seen them elsewhere.

Agree w/jcs271 on the tripod. I used one for a while until one leg broke through the sand into a gopher hole one day and dumped me....almost into a cactus. Last time I used that one.

I like the ghillie net on my sticks as I can sit in front of a bush or tree and still have the netting to cover movement w/remote & hand calls.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootHave you looked at a cane seat, or possibly a cane sling seat?

Had not seen these before, but kinda liking what I see, Spot!
Drive Medical Folding Lightweight Cane with Sling Style Seat

If it were not for the 6.25" wide saddle, which would get quite uncomfortable for longer stands, I could have fun converting this to an all in one, mini chair, blind, shooting sticks.
Quote:Four sturdy legs with vinyl contoured tips and a nylon sling bench measuring 15.5" (W) x 6.25" (L)

It would be easy to add a clamp on, adjustable for height tubing rifle rest to the front leg, to which a piece of ghillie netting could even add a bit of concealment. I would lower and widen the saddle for a more comfortable "chair".

An electrician could easily bend conduit to provide a wider frame from scratch to improve this design in order to fit user better. One might even be able to add a wider cross bar to rear legs and make a bicycle shaped "seat" to this one for a wider, much more comfortable seat...?

Regards,
hm

I am 64,1 aftermarket knee and another that needs to be.I use a Double Bull blind chair,very comfortable.Shooting off a Cabelas tripod works great and have had them in my lap.

Back