Price Check Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Just when Remington got it right they go out of business. Typical for remington.

I put a TT Primary on mine. It is much easier to consistently shoot sub .75 moa with the TT Primary.

With one load I can shoot consistent sub .5 with the TT Primary vs the stock trigger.

Try N133 powder if you can find it, works great in mine with 50-70 grain bullets.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have a Stocky's stock but I'm not sure which model it is off hand. Has a vertical grip and full aluminum bedding block. Made of a composite of sorts. Its a very solid stock for sure.

Just looked on Stocky's. Mine is the LRC. Nice stock for the $$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: arky65I would buy it and hope for the best, it ain't gonna get cheaper.

I, picked up a sps .223 from Buds last year for $450ish, was going to us it as a donor. Put together a known accurate hand load recipe through it, just less than MOA @ 100, box stock gun, crappy trigger and all.

This has been my experience as well, bought the rifle only for the action. Ended up being a really good shooter. JMHO

I used to have one of the stainless SPS Varmint Cabela’s specials. Nice looking/shooting rifle after adding a B&C stock, although the rough matte-stainless barrel seemed to make it heavier than those “blued” ones.
FWIW: If a person can find one, the newer 783 Varmint is getting good reviews: laminated stock, 26” barrel, dbm. I handled one in .22-250 recently and was impressed. Around $500, too.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Just a quick update, I installed the trigger tech special and the Stockys LRC stock this weekend and shot some groups with it. With the load we use in our ARs on prairie dogs (25.5 gr benchmark, CCI 400, 50 gr vmax, mixed brass) it was shooting .5 or less pretty regular. Occasionally it would throw some out of the group but that’s likely from me or a product of using 5 different types of brass. Nothing really over 3/4” or so. Pretty pleased with the rifle and the upgrades so far.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI doubt you could buy a new Stevens 200 6 months ago unless someone had it stashed under their bed in a box. They quit making them years ago.

I did some looking around this past spring because I had a 200 in .300WM with a brake and some other work that I was trying to sell. Was trying to find a fair price and the few places online that had them were between $199 and $299, Brand new with a few select calibers including .223, .308 and .300 WM. Ended up selling it to a local guy for $250 with extras. Much more than that and you are approaching the cost of a new Savage 10/110 with a rebate.

There's not a lot of difference in a Stevens 200 and a Savage Model 10/110. Both have a POS tupperware stock and lousy triggers. The Stevens that we were referring to had a $150 Boyd's stock and a Timney trigger. I think that made it worth the asking price of $450. Someone bought it so I guess they thought it was a good value as well. I always joked about the Stevens being made from left over Savage parts but they were shooters. I had a 223 years ago that was a lazer. One that I should have kept...but I didn't. I'm kinda bad about that.

Back