Bca uppers....nothing tight.

That dawned on me yesterday that on a sidecharge there is no ding maker tools involved. With that said I've learned to always check barrel nut torque. Probably best to tear down and reassemble since it's only a 15 to 20 minute deal.

Wouldn't keep wasting your time and money... return for full refund...

If you want a cheap upper, but one from Palmetto State Armory... i've bought numerous from them and have always been impressed with quality and shipping time.

Was still debating on keeping it but BCA emailed me late yesterday with a confirmation they shipped out a replacement already. So I boxed this one up and ran down the ups man delivering up the block this morning and started the 3rd one it’s journey back. If the next one comes damaged I’ll probably return it for a side charging model. Nothing wrong with the quality of the product imo it’s the (lack of)quality of their laborers. I’m sure all of the retuned uppers would have shot fine. It’s just an eyesore to look at the poor assembly dents and dents.

Last edited:
Number 4...

Guess this is the get it gets. Sucks that the receiver has some gouging in it.

vqJUmVb.jpg

ebTYdtX.jpg

LQHmoyJ.jpg

eSPHR6w.jpg

They at least didn’t ding up the forward assist hole this time but also didn’t drive the pin flush either.

PZOcWy4.jpg

Last edited:
I get that many safe queen dings in six months in and out of the safe to the range or field. I can say that Ritch has built me over three dozen uppers and all of them were pristine but they weren't bargain basement builds either.

Greg

My bca 18" sidecharging 350 legend is shooting about 1.5" for 3 shots and 2" ish for 5 shot with federal 180 soft points. It did not do as well with 170 hornady or the 145 winchester fm's. I will have 150 deer season and 165 hornady here Monday to test.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread.
The 4th one looks fine to me for the price.
Was wondering how it shot?
I just ordered a 7.62X39 Upper from BCA last night.
It is already on its way to me.
Hope I have better luck.

Received my BCA Upper couple of days ago.
7.62X39, 16" HB

50663784861_4055162106_c.jpg

Only found one flaw, a nick on the rear lug. Not a deal breaker, filed it smooth and covered the spot with a sharpie.
Added an AR stoner Linear brake, Vortex Cantilever one piece Base and
a Nikon P7 3-12X40. Also installed a Kaw Valley H3 Tungsten Buffer 5.4oz
Already had a H2 4.7 oz, but this heavier buffer actually ran my .556 upper better as well.
Mag was a 10 round Duramag SS, performed flawless.

Started with Golden Tiger FMJ at 25yds.
Three of four rounds went into same hole, one round did not fire, light primer strike. I tried Golden Tiger, Tula, Brown Bear, Herters, several rounds of each. Only three GT and one Tula went bang.
My reloads lit off no problem. Looks like I will have to order an enhanced firing pin or modify the one I have.
Overall very happy so far and at the moment I would rate this upper 9/10.
Next range report will tell when I can put 100 rounds or so down range of different ammo types.
Just for reference, the white dots are 1/2"

50663761022_511ed9b9d3_c.jpg

50663761827_8d7d55ee0b_c.jpg

50662985503_6cf83d9877_c.jpg

Last edited:
I find it funny that people that buy bottom of the pile upper's from BCA are expecting perfection when it comes to fit - finish - build quality - and accuracy.

Your buying a COMPLETE upper assembly cheaper than what a good quality barrel would cost.
If you expect quality, then don't buy the cheapest POS on the market because you aren't buying anything that has quality part installed on it.

A while back I bought a BCA upper 16 inch and it turned out to really be a fine shooter. Still have it, never malfunctioned and has been nothing less than satisfactory.

2nd trip to the range with BCA Upper in 7.62x39.
All I can say is I am happier than a Tornado in a trailer park
Seems well made.
I did mod the firing pin for more Protrusion, only had .022 and I took it to .036
Functions perfect and smooth and is Very Accurate.

50670433081_ddaf7883b8_c.jpg

50669380836_311c6ace90_c.jpg

Last edited:
do you have a stock trigger group in that lower? if not which trigger are you running?

Originally Posted By: hylander
Three of four rounds went into same hole, one round did not fire, light primer strike. I tried Golden Tiger, Tula, Brown Bear, Herters, several rounds of each. Only three GT and one Tula went bang.
My reloads lit off no problem. Looks like I will have to order an enhanced firing pin or modify the one I have.

I had forgot that I have a two stage NM trigger group with JP light springs, I swapped the hammer spring back to the factory spring.
Factory spring is noticeably heavier.
Will see how it does Sunday.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onedo you have a stock trigger group in that lower? if not which trigger are you running?

Originally Posted By: hylander

i was gonna suggest something like that - an XP hammer spring with a lighter trigger spring seems to work great on hard primers for me. i run the JP reliability enhanced spring kit (red hammer spring, yellow trigger and disconnector spring) in all my "mil spec" trigger groups.

that was also the fix for my timney trigger too for nato 7.62x51 as well, they sent me a red hammer spring and milled hammer to swap out so that i didnt have light strike issues with that as well.

Swapped in the factory hammer and trigger springs.
All fired except the Herters.
Swapped in an enhanced firing pin, and all ammo lit off 100%.
All is right with the world
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back