Anyone on the forum build a 22-243 with a shorter barrel?

FairChase93

Considering one. Have a 22-250 with a burnt up barrel. Have long planned a fast twist 250 or a 22 creed but i find myself with a ton of quality 243 brass that would be good prospects to turn into something. I also have enough win, rem, and Hornady 243 to keep the current 243 shooting until its toast as well.

I shoot everything suppresed and in order to accommodate an 8" can i have been going to shorter and shorter barrels. Anyone build a 22-243 in say anywhere from 18-22" and what kind of performance are you seeing with 69-75 grain bullets.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: liliysdadNot a 22-243 per se, but I am shooting a .22 Creedmoor with a 22" tube, and 69 TMKs.

How fast can you run them out of that setup? With accuracy of course.

I turned a 14T Hart Light varmint contour into a 22/243 AI with .020 freebore, barrel is 23" long. I shoot the 60g Sierra Hp at 4000 into very tiny one hole groups. The barrel was previously a 22 PPC that I had shot in competition years ago.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: liliysdadNot a 22-243 per se, but I am shooting a .22 Creedmoor with a 22" tube, and 69 TMKs.

How fast can you run them out of that setup? With accuracy of course.

3550 with Varget.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI turned a 14T Hart Light varmint contour into a 22/243 AI with .020 freebore, barrel is 23" long. I shoot the 60g Sierra Hp at 4000 into very tiny one hole groups. The barrel was previously a 22 PPC that I had shot in competition years ago.
You obviously don't know that there is no way that a slow twist barrel will ever be able to kill a coyote.
lol.gif
Those take off BR barrels make splendid varmint rifles.

I went real short with my 22-250 and the only downside to it is even suppressed that 18in 22-250 is still fairly loud. Not terrible but I wouldn't want to shoot it more than once or twice without hearing protection.

I really like the convenience of shooting shorty's suppressed just not sure I'd do it with something like a 22-243.

I have something similar with the 22-6MM Remington that has a 22" barrel, which I debated between it and 24" at the time that I had the rifle built. Its handy at 22" with good ballistics, but I can't imagine having it with a bobbed barrel. Any shorter and it would likely be nothing but an extremely loud flame thrower, suppressed or not.

For me, if I wanted to shoot suppressed, I wouldn't waste the effort on a hot rod cartridge in a short barrel.

Originally Posted By: B23I went real short with my 22-250 and the only downside to it is even suppressed that 18in 22-250 is still fairly loud. Not terrible but I wouldn't want to shoot it more than once or twice without hearing protection.

I really like the convenience of shooting shorty's suppressed just not sure I'd do it with something like a 22-243.

The 22-250 that is shot out that im refereing to bh in the post started out 26" i chopped it down to 22" and it shot it that way for awhile. A year ago or so i had it chopped again to 16.5 ". I knew it couldnt have much life left and i wanted to try it. I lost a ton of velocity obviously but I was still able to get better performance ojt of it at 16.5 than i ever imagined. I agree its louder suppressed than it was but i wouldnt say its drastically louder through my 30 cal can.

I have a 20" barrel on my 22 CM. I'm getting right at 3500 fps out of it shooting 75 gr A-Max bullets using H4350. It will stack them when I do my part.

r4uuvKJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyI have a 20" barrel on my 22 CM. I'm getting right at 3500 fps out of it shooting 75 gr A-Max bullets using H4350. It will stack them when I do my part.

r4uuvKJ.jpg

3500 from a 20" with a 75 is smokin.

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyI have a 20" barrel on my 22 CM. I'm getting right at 3500 fps out of it shooting 75 gr A-Max bullets using H4350. It will stack them when I do my part.

r4uuvKJ.jpg

3500 from a 20" with a 75 is smokin.

Yes it is...I'm twisting the 69s pretty hard to get 3550 from a 22" tube.

I have a .20-250 with a 19" barrel. The short barrel does neuter the velocity. But, even at 19", it still pushing 39's at 4,000 fps. Surprisingly quiet with the TBAC, to me, but I'm deaf. It's a handy dandy super accurate zero recoil quiet to me laser beam on coyote though.

20170114_Coyote%20Hunt-2W.jpg

A shorty .22-243 is still going to out run a .22-250 and if that's what you want, why not?

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAI have a .20-250 with a 19" barrel. The short barrel does neuter the velocity. But, even at 19", it still pushing 39's at 4,000 fps. Surprisingly quiet with the TBAC, to me, but I'm deaf. It's a handy dandy super accurate zero recoil quiet to me laser beam on coyote though.

20170114_Coyote%20Hunt-2W.jpg

A shorty .22-243 is still going to out run a .22-250 and if that's what you want, why not?

- DAA

deja vu, that gun does better with the big 6 barrel, LOL aka mans coyote/rock chuck rifle.

Originally Posted By: steve garrett

deja vu, that gun does better with the big 6 barrel, LOL aka mans coyote/rock chuck rifle.

lol.gif
Yeah, we made that stand on Saturday, the one with the kill bowl. Big 6 barrel is on there now. Need to break it out one of these trips. Definitely need to launch a few chucks with it this spring.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI turned a 14T Hart Light varmint contour into a 22/243 AI with .020 freebore, barrel is 23" long. I shoot the 60g Sierra Hp at 4000 into very tiny one hole groups. The barrel was previously a 22 PPC that I had shot in competition years ago.
Is the the reamer you borrowed from Lorne Ackleyman?

Back