FNG 22-250

EddieMonster

Being from the south(SC) I never hunted predators just deer. This is a new area for me. Looking to purchase my first rifle strictly for coyote hunting. I live In commifornia now (San Diego) post service. Seems like they have a heap of coyotes out here. I’d like to keep the price under 1,000. Buy once cry once. Also looking for scope recommendations. I’ll most likely be hiking in most places. So far I’ve been looking on gunbroker for rifles, let me know if there’s another source I should check out. Thanks

I have a 223 with an 8 twist barrel and its light weight, smooth action, great trigger and shoots little bitty groups. Whats not to like!!!

Check Bud's Guns. Usually very good prices.

Last edited:
Cool I’ll check that out. Kinda torn now since I’d have to shoot lead free ammo.
Haven’t been seeing good things about shooting lead free online with the 22-250

I would also recommend the Tikka T3x in the 22-250. Another option would be a CZ.

Regarding ammo, Barnes produces factory ammo using their 50 gr TSX bullet, which is lead free. I have been reloading Barnes bullets for years over multiple calibers and have been very happy with them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to look up how to do the reloading process. I've been looking at Tikas so I'll most likely go that route since everyone seems to love them.

Been shooting the Tikka T3x .22-250 superlite that I traded a shotgun for several years ago.
It has killed a pile of coyotes every year out to 600 yds with witnesses and pictures throughout.

Not gonna bash the Rugers but the difference between a Ruger Pred and a Tikka T3x is worth the extra few dollars difference.

In California a 243 Win can be a better option for coyote hunting than the 22-250s that have 1-12" or 1-14" twist barrels. I have a 22-250 that I had a Hart 1-8" twist barrel put on it and it does stabilize the longer Lead Free bullets that are 50 gr and heavier.

With a 243 Win you can reload the Barnes 62 gr Varmint Grenade Lead Free bullets or the Nosler BT Lead Free Varmint 55 gr bullets. I have had good results with both of these Lead Free bullets and they are much cheaper to buy than the copper Lead Free bullets.

A 243 Win shooting the Barnes TTSX 80 gr Lead Free bullets is a decent deer and pig rifle also.

A 22-250 just isn't the same rifle if you have to shoot 35 gr to 40 gr Lead Free bullets out of it. A 223 Rem will push the 35 gr to 40 gr Lead Free bullets close to 4,000 fps so if you plan on using the light 35 gr to 40 gr Lead Free bullets you don't really need a 22-250 with a 1-12" or 1-14" twist barrel.

There are not a lot of New fast twist 22-250 available right now.

For hunting in California with Lead Free bullets a 243 Win maybe a better choice over a 22-250 with a slow twist barrel.

Derby hit the nail on the head. I have been shooting a 22-250 in CA for 11 seasons now. The lead free changeover took a lot of time and effort. My rifle, 1:12 twist shot the Barnes ok but I didn't really like how they fouled the barrel and their accuracy. After a lot of handload trial and error I am happy with the 40grn Nosler ballistic tip lead free at 4,150fps under CFE223 powder, it anchors them. If you don't handload the lead free thing can kind of be a pain and expensive. If I was starting again I would just get a 223 and shoot the 50grn Nosler ballistic tip lead free or a 243 and shoot the 55grn NBT LF. Or one of the new 1:10 twist 22-250's I suppose. My son's first season is this year and he shoots a 223 with 50grn NBT LF and I don't feel he is undergunned one bit. Just be real careful with those Barnes, I shoot the 80grn in my 25-06 and I am VERY particular about what stands I use it on, a coyote won't even slow one of those things down.

Don't be fooled by the San Diego urban interface coyotes, things get a little more tricky when you get out on public land.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to listen to your advice and shop around for a 243 then. Last thing I want is to get a 22-250 and have to go through all that headache trying to reload and find what works. Curious as to how much the .243 tears the hide up. I'm trying to use some of them to practice taxidermy. I mean I guess I can always stitch up the holes.

[beeep], well .243 it is for me I guess. Oh I'm sure it is more tricky. I need to lay out one of those maps and find all the boundaries where I can hunt them. They lay out online but that didn't make it any easier considering I'm not originally from Cali. Do you do much night hunting out in SOCAL?

OR, maybe look around for a Rem 700 action/barreled action - true that puppy up and chamber up a match grade, hand lapped barrel for it, maybe a jewell trigger and a stock of your choosing. That will be a keeper rifle for your lifetime, as when you decide you want a different caliber, just get a barrel vise, take that 22-250 off and chamber up another standard bolt face caliber that will fit your short action. You will still use the same stock and optic - cheaper by the dozen.
smile.gif

Called a switch barrel rifle - meaning you can just switch barrels for whatever immediate needs you have and then switch back if that would be a better option at the time.

If this doesn't sound like an option, the tikka is a fine rifle, as are most on the market today. I would look at used high end scopes such as the S&B's, nightforce, vortex razor etc - they will provide years of great shooting and the cost will probably be from $1400 to $2200 depending upon make & model and a little help from Lady Luck.

Originally Posted By: EddieMonsterI think I'm going to listen to your advice and shop around for a 243 then. Last thing I want is to get a 22-250 and have to go through all that headache trying to reload and find what works. Curious as to how much the .243 tears the hide up. I'm trying to use some of them to practice taxidermy. I mean I guess I can always stitch up the holes.

If you have to shoot Lead Free ammo it will be a headache if you don't reload your own ammo.

Right now buying the ammo you want or the powder, primers and bullets for reloading the ammo you want maybe very difficult to do.

Yeah, I know nothing about reloading ammo. I was really hoping it wouldn't be difficult to find lead free that shoots well and just plug and go. I guess ill look up the reloading process and see if that's something I want to do or not.

Back