Rem 700 stock (upgrade) advice needed

Tonester

Howdy,

I just bought a Remington 700 in 7/08. Sub moa groups, too!

The factory stock is lightweight plastic, two-tone gray, and the rifle model is SPS with a 24" sporter barrel.

Does anyone know what brand offers a light stock with pillar bedding? I want to upgrade but I have seen that Boyd, McMillian, and Hogue seem to have a lot thicker stocks than what I prefer for my hunting rig.

Thanks!

TC

Last edited:
I have a stocky's on mine. It has a bedding block. I think I only paid $99 a couple years ago. It was a black unpainted one. It isnt much different in weight than the factory. I just left it black

Red Hawk Rifles has a Grayboe Terrain stock that has the thinner hunting profile. You can get it for bdl or M5 bottom metal, heavy or sporter barrel. There’s also one cheaper than it, maybe Outlander? It doesn’t have the vertical grip like the Terrain.

Mcmillan hunters edge 22-26 oz comes with aluminum pillars or the McMillan hunter I have two of these very nice stock and you can get it in ultra-light carbon fibre about 28oz

Your factory Tupperware stock will weigh right at 27-28 oz. if you want a more ridged stock but still in this weight area look at McMillan edge fill, AG Composities graphite, Manners, etc. Those are all quite expensive. You can do a B&C with aluminum block that’s a nice stock for about half the money, however, it’s gonna be about a half pound heavier than your factory stock or the ones listed above.

I personally like the HS Precision composite stocks. Aluminum bedding block works good, [beeep] in most of mine, I do bed them also. Very rigid stocks!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: coal farmerI second the H-S Precision stocks.
Makes a good rifle better.

For the money HS Prec. stocks are hard to beat and though they look very similar to some of the Bell and Carlson stocks I think the HS Prec is a better made stock.

If you search around the classifieds you can usually find like new take off HS Prec stocks for $250-$300. Give it a skim bed and you have yourself a very solid foundation and a stock that'll out last the individual holding it.

A little bit of nostalgia in the chicken or the egg scenario, the B&C stocks look a lot like the H-S Precision stocks, and I agree totally that the H-S are much better made. B&C started building their look-alike stocks with the aluminum inserts only after H-S Precision's limited patent expired.

H-S Precision has long been a stock making and rifle building business located in Rapid City, South Dakota. They are located on Turbine Drive right next door to an interesting place called Jack First Guns Parts who for years have advertised as being the "Leading manufacturer of more than 4500 different hard to find obsolete firearms parts." If you need something out of the ordinary, they might be the place to find it. Years ago they also had a great collection of old and modern guns for sale on the floor, but as Jack got older he scaled back to just his parts business.

I haven't been there for a few years, but I imagine that both are still thriving businesses located in the same area. I know H-S is still there... Just not sure about Jack First.

btw - if you're in Rapid City in the downtown area, First Stop Guns is a must-see. A veritable candy store for fans of guns.

A quick look at Google yielded this:

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/pages/about-us-1

After owning HS, B&C, and Grayboe stocks, I'll take a Grayboe every single time. For a budget stock, the Stocky's polymers are hard to beat.

I have a Grayboe Outlander stock and it is a good stock. I'm not ninja enough to try any of the others (the semi to fully adjustable approaching maxed out chassis collection...)
laugh.gif

Hs precision pss003 is what I use on all my rem 700’s. In 25 years of using them I’ve never had an issue with them and they still work great.

Pillar bedding is going to scale back your options substantially. That being said, a lot of the modern stocks with modern materials dont really need bedded or at least not much bedding. Some, as mentioned, come with a bedding block negating the need for pillars. I own a Grayboe outlander and an HS Precision on two very similar 7mm Rem Mag R700's and the HS is nicer but heavier and more expensive. The grayboe Outlander works fine and Red Hawk Rifles will run sales for $200 on them. Really depends on budget but for a sporter weight gun, id stick to slimmer stocks like the GB Outlander

My favorite stock with a thinner profile is the mcmillan gamescout. Honestly might be the most comfortable stock I own

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCGoatieMy favorite stock with a thinner profile is the mcmillan gamescout. Honestly might be the most comfortable stock I own
I’m glad you mentioned this, and I agree that it may be the most comfortable stock. To the OP, since you have a sporter weight barrel, look at the McMillan Mc3 Tradition stock, it’s a polymer copy of the gamescout stock and priced in the$270 range. I put this stock on a older 30-06 bdl and absolutely love it. It’s solid, tougher than a boot and rifle shoots great just torqued down in this pillar bedded stock.

Last edited:
Back