Coyotes & Groundhogs

soup

Gents ,
I just acquired a Ruger No1 in .243 Winchester . Wondering if anyone hunts with that rifle ?
Hopefully I’ll be able to develop an accurate load for it . Problem is that it falls into the serial number range of poor barrel No 1s . I’m new to this rifle and am only going by what I’ve read .
Any help will be greatly appreciated .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup

All you can do is shoot it and see. Sounds fun to me. Hey that even rhymes! Is a good caliber for your coyotes and groundhogs too! Good luck, keep us posted. What is the rate of twist in your barrel?

Last edited:
I agree with GMAN, your just going to have to shoot it to find out. You might get lucky and have a shooter. There's a following for the No 1's so it won't be hard to sell or you can even rebarrel it if it turns out to be a lemon. Douglas will put a new tube on it for around $500 and get it back to you in a couple of weeks.

My first .243 was a pencil barrel Ruger Number 1. It shot those 55 grain Noslers over 4000 fps into those much sought after cloverleafs. It was light and handy and with heavier bullets my 13 year old daughter used it to get her first deer.

I did not like it much for a varminter as I could not see the hits very well due to the recoil. Just too light of a gun for it to hold still enough. But as a shooter? No complaints. Was pretty too. Sure was.

Yes shoot it. If able try a few different loads too. Regardless of how it does shoot it will still prefer certain loads.

Back