Still on the fence

coal farmer

Well I asked you all's opinion on the 243 as for recoil.
Been doing some more reading.
Would the 6.5 Creedmoor pushing light bullets be about the
same as a 243 with similar bullet weight?

Just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks~

I responded to your other thread about me just picking up a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win.

I have never owned a 6.5 Creedmoor but I do know you will be shooting a larger grain bullet than you would in a 243. Most guys I know are shooting around a 143 gr bullet and the most you will shoot in a 24e is about 100 gr.

To me, they are not an apples to apples comparison. I am working up a load right now using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX bullet. In my opinion, it is a very worthy caliber for everything from deer on down in size.

OP: Yes, but match apples to apples, ie, total rifle wt & muzzle energy.
I worked up a 95 VMAX for 6.5 cm load that was vary accurate but had trouble getting 85 HP to group.
Also worked up a 87 VMAX for 243 that was also vary accurate.
The difference in recoil was negligble, both were RAPs with a scope.
But these were heavy powder loads, so would need to work up lighter loads if reducing recoil was the top concern.
If factory ammo is also an issue, then 243 would be my choice,
historically its one of the last loads on the shelf when ammo gets scarce, in my area.

I don't really notice a great deal of recoil with the 243 or the 6.5CM but as for now, both shoulders are in pretty good shape for my age. I know a lot of people cringe about a muzzle break but if either caliber bothers you, a break will tame the recoil to a very manageable level. I think they also sell reduced loads for the 243 which could be duplicated in a hand load. Not sure about the 6.5 but hand loading you should be able to come up with something comfortable to shoot.

Originally Posted By: coal farmerWell I asked you all's opinion on the 243 as for recoil.
Been doing some more reading.
Would the 6.5 Creedmoor pushing light bullets be about the
same as a 243 with similar bullet weight?

Just want to get it right the first time.

Thanks~

Physics says yes, it would. Two equivalent weights going the same speed are going to recoil very very similarly when burning the same (or similar) powder change. You wont likely notice a 1 or 2 ft lbs of recoil difference.

Depends on your use. I think I replied to your other thread but cant honestly remember.

A 6.5 could be more versatile but will likely be twisted to shoot heavy bullets the best (120-140 gr). A standard .243 will be twisted to shoot 90-100 gr bullets best.
This is where you get into different recoil characteristics.

One may ask the intended use. Not sure what IN allows deer hunting, heard about recent changes. Of course there are neighboring States for hunting too.

May not a handloader? As such, one can easily tame a round if desired. I like the 6.5 round, neighbor likes his Creedmoor. I get by with a handful of 243’s, two 6.5 ‘Swedes’, then a few 7mm’s. With that, no need to add another chambering.

In this time of ammo shortages, 243 and Creedmoor ammo seems common on the shelf.

If you don't plan to hunt anything larger than deer out to middle ranges, the .243 will serve you well. If you envision longer range shots at deer size game, the 6.5 with 140-ish grain bullets will have a good bit more horsepower past 300 yards. I didn't read your original post, but unless you are extremely recoil-sensitive, I can't imagine that either would give you problems in that regard.

I own a 6.5 CM and I have never considered it as a coyote gun. I did just buy a Rem 700 in 243 and I am currently building it for a coyote rifle. I really hope I can find the 75 gr Vmax to be accurate because the ballistics are awesome. I don’t worry about big holes. I never touch the nasty things.

Originally Posted By: CallingArkansasI own a 6.5 CM and I have never considered it as a coyote gun. I did just buy a Rem 700 in 243 and I am currently building it for a coyote rifle. I really hope I can find the 75 gr Vmax to be accurate because the ballistics are awesome. I don’t worry about big holes. I never touch the nasty things.

One bullet you might consider for your 243 Win is the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. I just finished load work up for mine and really look forward to using it. The ballistics and accuracy are very good in my rifle.

Originally Posted By: CallingArkansasI own a 6.5 CM and I have never considered it as a coyote gun. I did just buy a Rem 700 in 243 and I am currently building it for a coyote rifle. I really hope I can find the 75 gr Vmax to be accurate because the ballistics are awesome. I don’t worry about big holes. I never touch the nasty things.

I shoot the 75gr Vmax in my 6-284 and if BIG holes and deader'er coyotes is what you're looking for, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Never shot any of the Barnes 80 gr TTSX WyoBull recommended but he's a good source of info so I'm sure they'd be good too I just don't have any first hand like I do the 75 Vmax.

I also own a Tikka light 243. It is my most accurate rifle. No recoil !
Shoots every single factory ammo under 1 inch and some 1/2 inch groups. The bolt feels like it is running on ball bearings. You can still buy ammo at the Local hardware store if you have too. This gun and caliber does it all. Matter a fact at age 61 I am thinking about selling all My other rifles and keep just this one. I am thinking about Taking advantage of the high gun prices and selling out , all but the tikka 243. I am finding out after 61 years you can only shoot one gun at at a time. You might as well only keep the most accurate one. Buy the tikka 243 if you will be shooting under 750 yards. Marty

Last edited:
Back