Super Hogster/wraith hd 2x/coyote cannon

zhelton

So i finally got some time last night to use the hogster, wraith and coyote cannon. Had a coyote coming perfect and i seen him along ways off with the hogster, already had my gun setup with the wraith 2x and cannon. Coyote kept coming and finally stopped but i did miss the first one of the year for me... totally not the eqipment as i was just too excited, first one of the year always gets me going. Hogster performed flawless and is amazing, cannon and wraith did its job also. More to come

I'm also using the Wraith 2xHD but with Sniper Hog 50LRX. Using the Hogster 35 as my scanner. Saturday night was my first night out hunting. I was going out to my bait pile, I always scan before heading out to it. I look to the west and see 3 coyotes about 150 yards out heading to the bait pile. Now I'm gonna have to hurry up and set up about 50 yards away from my house in a small patch of trees. As soon as I turn on the Wraith the lead coyote is 50 yards in front of me. I shoot and make a bad shot (to far back). He runs about 60-70 yard and piles up. The other 2 high tail it out. Couldn't get a safe shot at them. Average size male for my area. Probably about 3-3-1/2 years old. I really need to get out to my bait pile more, constantly hearing them yipping and howling. Not to mention I've seen as many as 6 coyotes at one time behind my house. Wind has to be straight north. East and west wind will work, but not ideal. I don't have a clue on how to post pic's. I don't ever record my hunts either.

Thermal for scanning, digital nightvision for shooting works better for me also. I really don't care for shooting with thermal. Plus its budget friendly, if thats a term you can use when buying gear for night hunting.

NV makes ID easier, but limits follow up shots for multiplies or if one misses on the first shot plus digital NV needs IR lighting which reflects off every tree, bush, cornstalk that is between you and the coyote. On calm nights it also has a few seconds of whiteout blindness from the IR reflecting off the smoke produced at the shot. A suppressor does help to cut down on that somewhat.

Thermal has a disadvantage on ID because you are depending on shape and movement. However the more you hunt with thermal the easier it becomes. The great advantage of thermal is you see the entire area with no IR blindness from the shot, stalks, bushes, trees, etc., and it is so much easier to keep track of multiples after the first shot or to make a follow up shot if needed.

Originally Posted By: SmackerquackerWhy does the nv make shooting easier vs thermal?
NV doesn't, I couldn't find them with my setup. Switched to a hogster25 on rifle and started killing critters.

DoubleUp summed it up well, between the difference with thermal and digital NV. I will only add for me judging distance with thermal is more difficult. Practice with thermal will help in judging distance or using objects to judge your distance. I like the identification with NV. Coyotes behavior is normally completely different from domestic dogs. We should be able to tell the difference at night in their behavior. Even though I've never seen a domestic dog running loose around my property, I still don't want to take a chance. At one time all I had was a Photon, I killed a lot of coyotes with only that. I'm not worried about shooting multiple coyotes off my bait pile, because more coyotes always show up. They can't resist a free meal. I can hunt my other properties with my night gear,I just prefer to hunt those properties during the day. This is what works for me.

Back