DRT ammunition.

OKRattler

Has anyone shot any coyotes or bobcats with the 55 grain BTHP? If so how did it treat the pelt? I got a box of those high dollar suckers to test out.

Doesn't seem like they're too popular with predator hunters. I'll be testing them out on some coyotes and such and let y'all know how it turns out. I will be reporting back with the results. Stand by.

What caliber? I shoot the 52 gr. FBHP from Speer in my 223 and 22-250. Hits like Thor's hammer. I prefer them in my 223 over 22-250. Slower FPS so they are easier on fur. Usually one hole, no exit. I would think the 55 would be good also. OAL for best accuracy is just off the lands a couple thousands. Test them out and let us know....

Rudy

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention that part. I'll be shootin them in a .223, I will definitely be reporting back with the results.

So far one coyote and one bobcat shot with these bullets. Hit the coyote behind the shoulder and he spun and ran 50 yards or so and piled up. Left a quarter sized exit. I don't know the coyotes anatomy other than the stuff I need to hit with a bullet and the organs I don't want to hit but I think part of the coyotes spleen was pulled through the exit wound. It was yellow whatever it was.

Didn't find the bobcat yet so I can't say where I hit it exactly. Although I haven't shot many animals with them yet I think the main problem I will see with these is over penetration. Seems like they're not dumping enough energy into the target but time will tell.

Last edited:
52 gr. FBHP (Speer) In 223 I run them at 3250 fps. At that speed they don't exit on coyotes. Small fragments might. If you shoot the coyotes in line with the front leg and midway up. They hit with authority! I don't see bobcats in my area so I don't know what they would do to them.

Rudy

My buddy found my bobcat. It wasn't blown up or nothin but it did exit. I normally shoot Hornady 52 grain BTHP's when I'm targeting bobcats. But I'm testing these new bullets out so I gave them a whirl on a bob kitty.

I'm thinking shooting stuff directly in the shoulder is best for these DRT's. Only one way to know.....

Last edited:
So are you talking about Hornady's or what brand? I have also had good luck with the Hornady 52 bthp's.
But also wonder about the Hornady 55gr HP's I stocked up on.Originally Posted By: OKRattlerMy buddy found my bobcat. It wasn't blown up or nothin but it did exit. I normally shoot Hornady 52 grain BTHP's when I'm targeting bobcats. But I'm testing these new bullets out so I gave them a whirl on a bob kitty.

I'm thinking shooting stuff directly in the shoulder is best for these DRT's. Only one way to know.....

Originally Posted By: dennydSo are you talking about Hornady's or what brand? I have also had good luck with the Hornady 52 bthp's.
But also wonder about the Hornady 55gr HP's I stocked up on.Originally Posted By: OKRattlerMy buddy found my bobcat. It wasn't blown up or nothin but it did exit. I normally shoot Hornady 52 grain BTHP's when I'm targeting bobcats. But I'm testing these new bullets out so I gave them a whirl on a bob kitty.

Yeah I was talking about the Hornady 52 grain BTHP. The DRT 55 grain bullets have a small hole in the tip about like the Hornady but they don't stay in stuff you shoot like those 52 grain Hornady's. I haven't tried the Hornady 55 grain I don't think. I may have a long time ago but I don't remember.

Back