35 lb. male last night

DoubleUp

#17 by Double Up, on Flickr

My hunting partner had to stay with his grandson last night so he couldn't make it. I found a place where I could get some relief from the bright moon at 96%. Just as I was setting up, the fire alarm went off and I heard several coyotes go off to my NW. Wind was light NW about 3-4 mph. Humidity was high at 92% so thermal wasn't all that good. It was warm at 58 degrees.

I did a single howl, waited 5 minutes and did a Duet. Saw the coyote working toward me from the NW, so I went to a couple different prey distress sounds, but he was so intent on chasing killdeer in the field that he didn't pay much attention. I got tired of waiting on him to make up his mind. I kept waiting for him to get a little more visible in the cornstalks. Just when I thought I could see enough of him to make the shot, he stepped forward as I was squeezing the trigger and evidently I hit one of the cornstalks.

The Varminter 4.0 suppressor had him confused where the noise came from and so he ran a few feet and stopped to figure out which way to run. I decided to head shoot him on the second shot. I couldn't find him last night in the cornstalks, so I reviewed the video and got the line he fell on. Went back and walked right to him on that line. He was exactly 225 yds. The picture is just as he fell last night. Pretty typical 35 lb. male coyote.

Will post the video in the Night Calling section when I get it uploaded.

Back