Coyote Night Opener: 12 Coyotes - Part 2

Kirsch

This is the continuation (Part 2) of my opening night hunting for coyotes found here.

I had 7 coyotes on the ground and the fog had lifted. My next stand was going to be what I call "My Quad Stand". I hunt this stand only once per year, and in the last 4 years it has produced 3 quads and a triple. The triple was from last year on a hunt when my coyote hunting partner had joined me. If the wind hadn't switched in the middle of the stand, I believe we could have shot 6.

I felt on this night, I would be lucky to get one because although the fog had lifted, the wind switched directions and was blowing close to 20 mph. 1-2 minutes into the stand coyote #1 showed up. After sealing the deal on this coyote, I got aggressive with very loud vocals hoping the sound would have a longer reach. A second coyote worked the wind in a full circle. At one point I could have taken a 250+ yard shot but it just never provided a good shot, so it escaped.

Shortly after coyote #2 exited, coyote #3 came in on fire. I had a hard time stopping it, and rushed the shot, and hit it low. I edited the video some because it was pretty gruesome looking. I shot at this coyote a few times trying to finish the job which finally happened.

Surely after all this banging, the stand was done with 2 coyotes on the ground. I kept after it and to my surprise two more coyotes came to the call. I got the first one, and the 2nd spooked from the shot, and I put a long distance shot on the 4th. My lucky stand did it again, and produced a Quad with a 5th that I never shot at.

I had time for one more stand. As light started to appear on the Horizon, I made one last sweep of the area and found coyote #12 standing on a nearby hill. It provided me a frontal shot which found the mark. It had mange so unfortunately wasn't making the trip home.

I had started the night a few hours after dark due to family obligations, and had hunted all night. The night was filled with fog, humidity, winds up to 20 mph from 2 different directions. I was tired but had a truck full of prime coyotes. As I drove the 2+ hours back towards my house, the morning was filled with God's beauty. I didn't like the fog during the hunt, but all the trees and fences were covered in white frost and it made for a beautiful drive home. Thanks for going on this ride with me. I hope all of you have a safe and successful coyote seasons.

The last time I was up all night and saw the sun come up was back in the early 80’s in my party year. I couldn’t keep up with her anymore.Kirsch your a glutton for punishment , be safe on the roads. Drove a lot of thousand mile drives by myself and never fell asleep behind the wheel, knock on wood.

Great job Kirsch, especially toughing out the cold and the wind up your way. I dont think I could do it. Hunted in SW Montana a few weeks ago and the wind was relentless...never let up and beat me down good. Sounds like it was worth it though, and the ride home the icing on the cake.

That's some awesome hunting Kirsch!! WOW there was some excellent LOOOONG shots!

Congrats on 100 already
smile.gif

Very fun video's to watch.

Is the red dot what you use for the reticle or is it just what shows up on the videos?

Originally Posted By: Jason312That's some awesome hunting Kirsch!! WOW there was some excellent LOOOONG shots!

Congrats on 100 already
smile.gif

Very fun video's to watch.

Is the red dot what you use for the reticle or is it just what shows up on the videos? The red dot is what I use. I don't like a reticle taking up a lot of the screen. For me the smaller the better. Since there are 4 color options for reticles, they are very easy to see in the viewfinder. The Super Hogster has 8 reticles where the 35 and 25 only have 4. Many of the SH additional reticles are smaller reticles as I provided Bering some suggestions during creation.

In addition, what doesn't show is the PIP window that I always have on. At this time, the PIP window does not show in recording. This is a 2 times (5.8x) magnification of the main screen. This allows for much further shooting than normal. The coyotes may look small on the videos but in the PIP window, they are very large. I was just out on Sunday night and actually shot 2 coyote around 400 yards. This is a bit lucky but they were back to back. One of them, I actually shot the coyote twice at 400+ yards so when you can repeat it, it can't be all luck. Thank you for watching and for the kind words.

Back