Nowhere To Hide

DoubleUp

#17 by Double Up, on Flickr

My hunting partner had to stay with his grandson last night so he couldn't make it. I found a place where I could get some relief from the bright moon at 96%. Just as I was setting up, the fire alarm went off and I heard several coyotes go off to my NW. Wind was light NW about 3-4 mph. Humidity was high at 92% so thermal wasn't all that good. It was warm at 58 degrees.

I did a single howl, waited 5 minutes and did a Duet. Saw the coyote working toward me from the NW, so I went to a couple different prey distress sounds, but he was so intent on chasing killdeer in the field that he didn't pay much attention. I got tired of waiting on him to make up his mind. I kept waiting for him to get a little more visible in the cornstalks. Just when I thought I could see enough of him to make the shot, he stepped forward as I was squeezing the trigger and evidently I hit one of the cornstalks.

The Varminter 4.0 suppressor had him confused where the noise came from and so he ran a few feet and stopped to figure out which way to run. I decided to head shoot him on the second shot. I couldn't find him last night in the cornstalks, so I reviewed the video and got the line he fell on. Went back and walked right to him on that line. He was exactly 225 yds. The picture is just as he fell last night. Pretty typical 35 lb. male coyote.

Nice follow up shot. It is so easy to get a little disorientated when trying to retrieve coyotes. I put a visible green laser on my gun this year and when my stand is done, I line it up where I believe the coyote is at, to get a point of reference. It has helped my retrieval process a lot. Good shooting.

Sounds like a good idea Kirsch. How do you orient it to your scope aim? What does the cost of the laser run? I could have found him pretty easily with that because I locked my rifle in position on the tripod at the shot. Of course normally my buddy or myself would be able to direct the other one, but it would sure be nice on those nights wheh I am alone.

Nice shot Owen. On cornfield recoveries I try to approach from the side and look down rows. I had one take off last year but I heard the whump, he disappeared over a rise. I stayed on high side and scanned down each row, till I found him.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpSounds like a good idea Kirsch. How do you orient it to your scope aim? What does the cost of the laser run? I could have found him pretty easily with that because I locked my rifle in position on the tripod at the shot. Of course normally my buddy or myself would be able to direct the other one, but it would sure be nice on those nights wheh I am alone. The one I use also can be used as a laser sight so this allows you to adjust the beam to be in line with your scope image. When my stand is over, I turn on the green laser beam, and aim with my scope to where I shot the coyote. It will reach 300-400 yards easily. Mine is mounted on my M-Lok rail on the side. Here is a picture of it.

chassis2.jpg

On the image, it is near the end of my hand rail on the right side.

Laser.jpg

Here is a link to one I have been using for around $25. It works for me. I am sure it isn't a high quality item, but for finding coyotes, it doesn't need to be. This has worked extremely well for me. It also helps you find your way back to your gun. And yes, a thermal scanner is absolutely essential to help find them once you knock them down.

Thank you for the pics and explanation. Might take some tinkering to figure a way to mount it on my bolt-action but I'm sure it can be done.

Paul, yes I do the same thing, but these fields have a lot of grass that has grown up in them because it has been so warm. I had looked down those rows, but just couldn't spot him last night with so much grass in the alleys.

DU, you need a helper like Kirsch has lol, I watch his videos and he has "some guy" go retrieve all of his. Must be nice.

Originally Posted By: weekenderDU, you need a helper like Kirsch has lol, I watch his videos and he has "some guy" go retrieve all of his. Must be nice. That’s the other nice thing. The laser allows me to hit record on my rifle scope and I know the area that is recording as I "some guy" retrieves the animals.

Thanks for posting up the video DU.. Love to see this Thermal action.. Nice follow up shot!!

Korey, Thats a great idea I just ordered one..

Wonder if it has drilled holes that could be screwed or bolted to the forearm? Don’t see any way to attach it unless maybe a strong epoxy, but then it would become a permanent attachment.

No, it hooks over the sling swivel stud. No holes required and it, according to the reviews, tightens down very securely.

Week, I feel confident if you turn the laser on, he will come and might even do a "Ho, Ho, Ho."

Back