Barrel Droop

KjBeachy

I heard you shouldn't put a heavy supressor on a light barrel, it will make the barrel droop. Whats the problem with a little barrel droop?

Airguns have had problems with drooping for a long time, meaning barrel pointing lower than the receiver. Causes scope alignment problems.
Not sure if the blue pill helps aiming problems.

What I've tended to see with light contours and a heavy can are larger than normal initial POI shifts. The harmonics of a light contour are much different than that of a heavy contour, especially when you introduce weight on the end.

I'm not saying it's "drooping" or bending your barrel, it's just harmonically changing it.

Especially if you increase your rate of fire, less steel, less initial heat dissipation, means shifting or opening of group sizes quicker.

For example we have been running shorter, heavier contours well over 15 years, when people still called us out for defeating the purpose of the 22-250, even though we were decreasing the velocity close to 100 FPS by taking 4 or more inches off the OAL, we were increasing the rigidity of the barrel by doing so. Not to mention by increasing the contour, or by fluting, and sometimes even CF wrapping, we have noticed a lot cooler running barrel as well, with zero to no initial shifting, and grouping staying the same for very long strings of fire. Which we rarely ever do.

Just some info that I've concluded doing what we do. We have a podcast that we are trying to make very informational for guys based on our dick ups and our expenses. Might not be the cheapest, or easiest way to learn, but you seem less likely to forget.

So I've got a Ruger american predator I want to put a can on. It's a light barrel. In yalls opinion, what's the heaviest supressor you would put on?

Like skinny said, it may change barrel harmonics and you'll have to work up a new load or it may simply affect POI.

Back