Still an amateur lol.

204 AR

Man, just when I think I'm doing ok, I hear about how the real killers are doing. I just shot coyote #9 for the season today if my math is correct, with another 2 or 3 by my partners, in 5 days of hunting, 4 were not whole days of hunting. We missed, or missed legit killing opportunities, on 5 or 6 more, 2 by me (which I hate), 2 or 3 by my elderly friend, (which doesn't bother me in the least), and 1 or 2 by my other partner. Yesterday and today killed 3 total, I just didn't get into them where I was hunting it seemed compared to other ranches I hunted earlier this fall.

Then I talk to the guy who puts up fur for me. He got 6 one day last weekend, and he and another guy shot 13 one day last week. That's amazing hunting. It's just hard to even imagine having a streak like that in a day. And I personally know and have hunted with a real killer who frequents this site.

Shooting wise, I've had a lot of success. Hit a new record long, 508 yds yesterday. He was not a called dog but jumped him going in. Otoh, made a total rookie mistake not trying to stop a drive by trotter and wiffed as he strolled by at 174 yds. I actually made the conscious decision to try the shot as I need practice on moving targets. And I'm not completely sure he would have stopped, he was headed downwind on a mission.

So where do you guys rank yourselves in the grand scheme of things? It's not about competing with anyone, to me it's about honing a craft for the sake of improving.

Last edited:
Been out three times since deer rifle season ended last week and haven’t seen, heard or called one. My buddy and I are scratching our heads. Hunted all Thanksgiving day with zero results. We’re heading out again tomorrow so we’ll see how we fare. We were thinking maybe this warm weather had something to do with it but you disproved that theory.

That's good shooting and good score. You'll learn more by efforts and taking chances along the way.
Around here I hold my own, a few guys can do better and quite a few can't.
Most in a day for me 9 or 10. Most in one spot 16 or 17.
Farthest kill shot- over 600 yds.
It's not a competition to me, rather doing the task at hand.
I do like the fact I have been able to adapt with a few tricks since being on wheels.
It seems to be working as 3 ranchers stopped yesterday asking for help, 2 of which I'd never met.

I used to go out Predator Hunting and would stress out if I wasn't succesful...I learned to enjoy the scenery,have a good time with who I was hunting with and enjoy the time out and learn from each set up.Some times the Coyotes just won't come in...some times its just crazy pure luck or a series of events that make the Hunt work out.

If Your not a Professional Hunter trying to film a Hunt dont beat Yourself up if You haven't put down a large number of Coyotes in 1 day....Some of Us only have a small amount of land to Hunt on and calling in a Predator that has been Educated by other Hunters can be a challenge in itself and just as worthy a Trophy!

Ditto what GTO said. If I was only interested in numbers, I would have quit a long time ago. I hunt a small parcel of land, which only yields a coyote now and then. I have only taken 5 since September, which is a good season start for me. Can’t shoot what’s not there. However, I have had a wonderful time trying. Getting a coyote is just icing on the cake.

I'm not sure. I got off to a bad start and missed three in a row. Made some scope adjustments and killed 19 in a row,missed 1 running shot and killed another. I set goals for myself and I keep track of my shot to kill ratio. I try to keep missing to a minimum. Doesn't always work out for me but I feel like I do pretty decent. I'm working towards my goal of 50 this Winter. If I reach my goal I'll set another goal. I know there are guys out there that are better than I am. That's just the way life is. I try to be better than I once was. That's all I'm worried about.

If I keep up the pace I'll kill probably 20 more coyotes and maybe a bobcat or two and a few badgers. Plus with my annual trip to Texas maybe a fox or two thrown in the mix with some hogs. We will see. Don't want to jinx myself but I just wrote it for the world to see so I better get after it.

Last edited:
Time to analyze technique and refocus for this coming weekend. I've realized that my call placement has gotten a little lazy sometimes, need to get it further away and further upwind, especially where the concealment cover is lacking, which is most places this year. Really dry year and shorter grass than normal. Might be time for a ghillie suit.

I don't have near the years compared to some on PM for coyote hunting. But I feel I do ok for the amount of hunting I do. I have 2 properties I just can't figure out. Property #1 is 800 acres. Its divided into 5 different parcels. The landowner is a very large breeder of black angus here in the midwest. I'm the only person that hunts this property. Landowner, his farm hands, and people that live in the area hear and see coyotes. Plus I see tracks and scat everywhere. I've tried a lot of different techniques. Nothing. Have not tried night hunting. Property #2 202 acres on one side of a road and probably close to another 200 acres on the other side of the road. Same story as property #1, with the exception of calling in a young female. I did get her in the bed of my truck. My opinion these properties are very difficult to hunt. Coyotes can come from any direction. Wind direction doesn't seem to matter when they could possibly come from all sides of me. Property #1 probably has other hunters. Property #2 I doubt there are other hunters. If a more experienced coyote hunter saw these properties he or she would say "your doing some wrong". I will say this these 2 properties humble me. Just when I thought I figured this coyote hunting thing out. So someone should come out and show this rookie how to do it! LOL

Back