current quality of 17 Rem brass

I have buying 17 Rem brass from High Plains Brass and have been happy with it. They neck down 5.56 brass to make it. If you have not checked them out it might be worth a look to you.

I just picked up a bag(100) of new old stock rem brass for 25.00. The guy included 18 once fired, I sized the used brass, loaded and shot a couple with no issues. Hoping the 100 count bag is the same. I have used the high plains in my 17 rem upper with good results, don't worry as much about losing that brass in the snow.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have buying 17 Rem brass from High Plains Brass and have been happy with it. They neck down 5.56 brass to make it. If you have not checked them out it might be worth a look to you.

Yes indeed. I bought 100 rounds of it a while back and it seems to be better than the R-P brass that I have been using for the last 4 decades. Several years ago I was at gun show in small town and an old man was selling several hundred rounds of fired and some unfired .17 Rem ammo and he wanted $40 for all of it. I gave him his asking price. I dont think I am ever going to run out of it but wanted to try the High Plains stuff anyway.

Thanks for the High Plains experiences. Wondering if their .223 converted to .17 Rem cases came out to the same case length as the original .17 Rem brass. And how consistent were the neck thicknesses?

Originally Posted By: danno in vaThanks for the High Plains experiences. Wondering if their .223 converted to .17 Rem cases came out to the same case length as the original .17 Rem brass. And how consistent were the neck thicknesses?

You can look at their website and read about it but they are consistent and to SAAMI specs.

I think you can order the High plains untrimmed and diy, when I ordered some it came a bit short. Of course the length will change after a firing or 2 as the brass forms to the chamber. I always full length size for my AR's.

Originally Posted By: danno in vaWhich brand does the board prefer...Norma or Nosler?

Either one. they are both good quality brass.

I've been shooting a 17 Rem. since it first came out and I've been saving 17 brass for a lot of years now. I doubt seriously if I will ever run low even with one of the grandsons' shooting a 17 now.

It turns out that the fine gentleman who loaned my gunsmith his custom 17 Rem reamer has brought me up to speed on the use of European brass. This reamer is made to tolerances tighter than the current factory spec's and the European brass is too thick for my chambers, so i'll stick with my old Rem brass and wait for Nosler to make more. That said, i would shoot the Norma brass in a factory rifle.

Thanks for all your help....dan

Last edited:
I make all mine from 223 brass, they work great and I'll never run out + it's fun.
And still no dreaded carbon ring in the chamber.

Originally Posted By: dennydI make all mine from 223 brass, they work great and I'll never run out + it's fun.
And still no dreaded carbon ring in the chamber.

Dennyd, what is the process and hardware needed to do this? I am just curious what it takes and if it is something I want to try and take on.

Very easy to do.
First I resize in a 223 die without the expander ball.

Then I resize in a 17 rem die, the 223 case should be done slower than usual, I like to go up
into the die a little at a time and back out and then a little more until it's sized without
the expander ball. No excess lube on the neck, none on the shoulder or inside the case neck yet.

The neck will usually be a bit to thick and I trim them down most times about 002-004.
Most regular 223 cases will be fine but military cases always come out with a thicker neck.
Then I run them up in the .17 die again with the expander in and check the neck again after
the expander ball runs through. A few thou thicker chambers in my rifle, as long as it isn't tight.

You get a feel for how much pressure you can put against the
case when running up in the 17 die, you will get some dents in the shoulder esp. if you go about this to fast.

Most will blow out when fired, some don't if they are straight they are GTG. I use a grain less CFE223 or 4320 in theses cases from first firing on. The neck is a hair shorter, esp. with military cases, less with regular brass .I do not get a carbon ring in the chamber, I clean the barrel and chamber like always and can use regular 17 brass loads anytime.

The slower you push the 223 case up into the 17 die the better the shoulder and case neck will be. I shoot under 3/4" inch groups with these cases with Hornady 25gr V-max & 24gr 4320, 7 1/2 primer.

It has been years since I have done so but all I did was run R-P .223 brass into my .17 Rem sizing die. I remember having a few losses but not a lot. It seemed to shoot just as good as factory .17 Rem brass too despite having a bit shorter neck. After 40 years of loading the round I am blessed with having quite a bit of brass laying around for it so having to make it not an issue for me.

I think with regular factory brass that's all it takes is to run it up the die, but it's easier if you size them through the 223 die first to get the neck closer to 17 esp. without the expander.
Originally Posted By: RustydustIt has been years since I have done so but all I did was run R-P .223 brass into my .17 Rem sizing die. I remember having a few losses but not a lot. It seemed to shoot just as good as factory .17 Rem brass too despite having a bit shorter neck. After 40 years of loading the round I am blessed with having quite a bit of brass laying around for it so having to make it not an issue for me.

Originally Posted By: dennydI think with regular factory brass that's all it takes is to run it up the die, but it's easier if you size them through the 223 die first to get the neck closer to 17 esp. without the expander.

You know, I got a buddy with a .20 Practical sizing die. I will have to ask if he will let me borrow it for a few days. I bet if I hit it with that first and then go to the .17 die that might work pretty good.

Rusty take the guts out of that 20 Prac and it will really help you get down nicely to 17. I gut a 223 when I want to start going down to 20 PRAC/TAC for my first step. So much easier.

Greg

Now yer thinkin, That would work even better, with Military brass which I always seem to have it might be
real easy. I see today Midway has 25gr .17cal tipped factory seconds for $14, look to be Hornadys but gray tip.
Seen this when looking for a 20 cal die LOL.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: dennydI think with regular factory brass that's all it takes is to run it up the die, but it's easier if you size them through the 223 die first to get the neck closer to 17 esp. without the expander.

You know, I got a buddy with a .20 Practical sizing die. I will have to ask if he will let me borrow it for a few days. I bet if I hit it with that first and then go to the .17 die that might work pretty good.

Back