Shotgunned Wolves ?

Lodgepole

Curious if anyone knows of a wolf taken with a scatter gun ? Maybe JCS 271 will chime in here . I am so frustrated at my lack of success I think a new shotgun will make me feel better . They were howling about a half a mile away from my house (just before sunup ) as I was saddling up in the barn . My plan was for elk ,I would have been much better off to have gone on foot from the start .Bad move on my part.Last year at about this same time I was afoot and tried to catch up but 5 miles later it was dark and my 70 year old carcass came hobbling home .I covered a lot of ground this time but the pack was always where I could not get near with the horses . Younger legs and no horses would have been much better .I am 71 today and will be after them for as long as my health allows me to .They are a magnificent animal and to hear them howl at night is truly a great experience ,right in there with hearing those huge flocks of snow geese passing in the night (as I go outside to mark my territory ). Tally Ho

Originally Posted By: Lodgepole I think a new shotgun will make me feel better .

I'm not aware of anyone killing a wolf with a shotgun but if I were calling them in thicker cover, I would be packing a shotgun. Buying a new gun always makes me feel good. If you have extra cash to spend, a new gun would make you feel better.

I am right on your heels age wise. I want a wolf really bad but getting to the wolf grounds from NC is a task all its own. What to do once there is equally challenging. I am 0-3 on wolf hunts but as long as I am able will keep trying. I don't think the desire will lessen much less leave anytime soon. Good luck in your quest Lodgepole. As for JCS271, he is truely in a league of his own.

Used to hear them at night howling quite often when hunting/camping up in the Yak up your way. You're right about it being a memorable experience Lodgepole, especially when its 2am and they're [beeep] close to your camp. I figured they were letting us know we were in their territory. Never connected a bullet with one though. Shotgun in the thick stuff might work I would think. I'm 62 and since my dad died in January this year my new opinion is if you want a new shotgun get one. We dont know how many corners we have to go around if you know what I mean...

Originally Posted By: BrianIDOriginally Posted By: Lodgepole I think a new shotgun will make me feel better .

I'm not aware of anyone killing a wolf with a shotgun but if I were calling them in thicker cover, I would be packing a shotgun. Buying a new gun always makes me feel good. If you have extra cash to spend, a new gun would make you feel better.

Carrying a shotgun for wolves would be great for thick cover...however packing another 6-7 lbs in the mountains is a lot different than flat land. It's hard enough to climb a mountain with your own body weight. I do agree that buying a new gun makes me feel better also.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 243kimber Your servant, sir.

WOW!!! Feeding his shotgun to a wounded wolf on the fly @ 2:10 on that video would surely call for carrying a spare set of undies! Makes a good case for an M1917 bayonet mounted on your shotgun!

Regards,
hm

All but one of mine has been under 45yds (with several at 12,14,18 and 20) so in theory they all could have been taken with a shotgun. I will pack one when I KNOW it will be thick timber or alders. I have tried carrying my rifle and taking one of my auto shotguns in an Eberlestock pack but it is simply to much weight and going under or through scrub brush I get snagged a lot.

That is the main reason I switched to my .30cal AR. Short, light, fast! So far so good with three on the ground. A big part for me is also having the Firedot reticle in my Leupold scopes. You can pick it up fast when things get chaotic.
smile.gif

Of course, most importantly, this has NO BEARING AT ALL on buying a new gun. The answer to that question is always YES!

jcs thanks for that information . You are speaking from real experience for sure . My new LH TriStar Viper should be here soon ! Hoping to get it limbered up on clays to get the feel of it .

Back