Do it yourself skull mount

Dave2

I was very lucky to harvest two nice whitetail bucks this fall and would like help with doing skull mounts.

Starting with removing the hide and meat from the head and neck.

TIA.

Take a knife and start skinning and cutting off the hide and excess meat including eyes, tongue, etc.

I then prefer to soak them in a bucket of water for a couple months making sure to keep the skull submerged. I usually mix a couple boxes of baking soda in the water while doing this.
Then a slow roll boil till the meat falls off. Clean it up with some dawn dish soap to degrease or put it in the pot while boiling.

Dave2 - I just reloaded the pictures of my fox skull on page 5 of that thread above. Should give you some good info. I prefer to remove as much meat/tissue/eyeballs as possible before anything. Use a long piece of wire with a small hook to pull out all of the brain. If you care about having the nasal cavity bones intact you have to be more careful with the method you use to clean your skull or they will break/disintegrate. I hear that beetles work really well for that. A cheap set of dental picks is very useful for getting all the bits and pieces of meat/tissue off the skull before and after the soak. Pressure washers may work for some but I see too much downside potential using them. Much of this work will be "stinky" and best done outdoors. Good luck!

Back