Happy Thanksgiving: Coyote Night Opener: 12 Coyotes - Part 1

Kirsch

First off Happy Thanksgiving to the Predator Master's Family. I am sitting here thinking of all the things I am thankful for. One of the things is the brotherhood of hunters on this site.

The ND night season has officially opened. The forecast for this night was clear with a low around 10F and light winds up to 5MPH. Sounded like a perfect night. I couldn't start hunting until around 7PM due to some family obligations.

Upon leaving my truck for the first stand, I was met by a wind around 15MPH and I could see fog was starting to move in. My optimism wasn't nearly as high as a few moments earlier. Stand one still produced 1 coyote so the night got started off right.

Stand two produced a double including a 400 yard lob that somehow found the mark. Two stands and 3 coyotes so the night was working out. However, the fog was getting a lot heavier.

By the time my truck rolled into stand #3, the visibility had dropped to less than 10 feet with my headlamp. I knew the area very well, but this spot doesn't have a great hill or high point and the grass was taller than I was expecting. In hindsight I should have stood for this stand. I did kill a really close coyote on this stand, but had 2 coyotes that I saw for just a moment that worked around me that I never got in the scope. Either way, 3 stands and 4 coyotes was still a fantastic start.

I moved on to my 4th stand. This stand had a standing bale pile so getting elevated was going to be easy. If it was possible, the visibility was even worse. I could only see a few feet without thermal. Thermal visibility was also reduced but I could still see far enough to shoot. I grew up near this stand, so know there are no cattle or farms within miles so it was still safe. The stand started with some deer walking right by me. Shortly after this, 3 coyotes showed up but by the time I saw them, they were leaving. I was feeling frustrated with the fog and lamenting how great of a night I would have had if not for the fog. Just before leaving, I noticed something moving in the fog, and this time the coyote was approaching from a good angle. I sealed the deal and had 5 coyotes on the first 4 stands.

The 5th stand was a blank but the fog started to show signs of clearing. On the next stand, the fog had totally cleared up. Humidity was still high but now I could see miles again with the thermals. I shot a double on this stand. The 2nd coyote arrived about 5 minutes after the first, and I shot it while it was sniffing the first coyote.

I am breaking up this 12 coyote night into 2 Videos. I will put out a little teaser, as my favorite stand once again produced a quad. Stay Tuned For More.

https://youtu.be/CVxRgtU5X2U

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCPhenomenal shooting Korey! What were you using to call them all in? Happy Thanksgiving all! On this night, some stands produced with prey-distress, while others with aggressive vocals. I used my FoxPro X2s. I had my XWave with me, but forgot my stand to get it elevated, so I used the X2s all night. I tend to use the X2s on calmer days and the Xwave when it is breezy and I need to get more volume in various directions.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: Victor_TNVCPhenomenal shooting Korey! What were you using to call them all in? Happy Thanksgiving all! On this night, some stands produced with prey-distress, while others with aggressive vocals. I used my FoxPro X2s. I had my XWave with me, but forgot my stand to get it elevated, so I used the X2s all night. I tend to use the X2s on calmer days and the Xwave when it is breezy and I need to get more volume in various directions.

Thanks for the info.

Thank you for all the kind words. I forgot to put a note on the video. The 4th coyote taken on the video marked Coyote #100 for me since I started hunting in Aug/Sep. Historically, I typically mark this milestone coyote.

This is really early for me to be at the century mark, so it has been a good hunting season so far. I am hoping to reach that mark at least one more time yet this season. It all depends on the weather.

Man, I need to move to your neck of the woods! It's been pretty warm this year, so coyotes aren't as eager to run after food. We're supposed to get snow and colder weather starting next week. Hopefully it will help.

Originally Posted By: KirschThank you for all the kind words. I forgot to put a note on the video. The 4th coyote taken on the video marked Coyote #100 for me since I started hunting in Aug/Sep. Historically, I typically mark this milestone coyote.

This is really early for me to be at the century mark, so it has been a good hunting season so far. I am hoping to reach that mark at least one more time yet this season. It all depends on the weather.

Congrats on the #100 thats an amazing accomplishment so early in the season!!

Originally Posted By: Rookietjx2Man, I need to move to your neck of the woods! It's been pretty warm this year, so coyotes aren't as eager to run after food. We're supposed to get snow and colder weather starting next week. Hopefully it will help. You wouldn't say you want to move to my neck of the woods when it doesn't get above -15F for a few weeks straight and we have feet of snow on the level and the majority of roads are impassable.

I would rather it stay warmer than colder. Although our climate is colder than most, only about 20-30% of the coyotes I shoot are with prey-distress sounds. My point is don't let the warm weather stop you. Coyotes will respond to various vocals whether they are hungry or not. You just have to change your calling patterns.

Originally Posted By: carvercallsCongrats on the #100 thats an amazing accomplishment so early in the season!! Thanks Kerry. As soon as my fur buyer said furs were starting to look good, I got after it especially in October. I shut coyote hunting down for most of November during our deer gun season, but it is time to really get after it again. I don't mind the cold, but hope the heavy snow stays away for awhile. We got 6-12" in October but it melted and has been decent since.

Stone cold killing!! Fabulous marksmanship at long range at night. Very impressive indeed. Here in Ohio it would take me 4 to 6 years to reach 100. I do lay off them during pup rearing. My choice unless I receive a phone call. Amazing hunting and shooting.

Back