Getting started night hunting: light questions

Juniper

In my first post in the predator hunting section, I introduced myself as new to it. I've also not hunted at night before (hogs or anything).

I figure it starts with a hand call and a flashlight. I'll go to a spot where I know there is fox and some other places where there might be fox and see what I can call in. I might call in a bobcat, and it seems there are always coyote somewhere not too far. I'll just have to see.

So my flashlight is my everyday pocket light: a Fenix PD36R. This is a 1600 lumen white-only tubular light. It has a fairly intense beam (about 20K cd) that is claimed for 282 meters, and I know from experience it will run constantly for more than 4 hours.

My EDC pocket light will get me started, but what should I be looking for in a scan light? Should I be looking at getting a red light? Green?

I am not going to buy thermal or NV soon. Could I use the scan light to acquire the target? How can I hold or aim it?

I know I can mount a light on my rifle, shotgun or revolver, but I don't want to scan with a weapon light.

I was thinking of how to mount my light on a helmet or hardhat or maybe I should get a headlight. Can anyone recommend a headlight for scan and targeting when night hunting?

I also thought maybe I could just put the flashlight on a tripod head. It won't track with the target but it should hold it close enough for a quick hit from the shotgun.

It's easy to put a light on the long guns, but I'd like to figure something out for the revolver. I can use Harries or some other technique but for shots over 50 yards I'd rather have both hands on the gun. I'm not looking for a new revolver with a rail. I could get better predator guns for less. I just want to see how I can best use what I have. I looked at barrel clamp mounts but I think the flashlight is too long for the 5" barrel. It's probably better to figure out an off-gun mount on my head or a tripod.

I have a spare hardhat. Maybe I could bolt an Adel clamp on it. Better than duct tape.

So when scanning, is it better to use the brightest light and see as much and as far as possible, or is it better to use just enough light to see bright-eyes/tapetum lucidum and preserve some dark adaptation?

What kind of light(s) can you recommend and how do you use them?

I read this article: https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/how-to-hunt-coyotes-and-foxes-at-night/

Mr. Druckenmiller says he likes red light and keeps his scan light on all the time unless switching to thermal.

Keep your scan light on at all times, as it provides cover for you. The scan light only needs to be bright enough to see eyes. Once eyes are located keep the light on them, (this is the cover part). A brighter, gun mounted light is best for shooting. If you set the gun light alittle off center or rotated, you don't need to mess with the scan light prior to shooting. I know this a short explanation, hope it helps.

I run a sniper hog lights 66lrx and a 40kap. The 40kap is awesome because it is a head mounted light. I run them in red, as red, green and amber are the only legal colors to use where I live. The range on them is insane. The 40kap has a built in dimmer and also a flood/focus so they are great. The 66lrx can be purchased with a dimmer tail cap and has built in flood/focus adjustment. The range on the 66lrx is a legit 600+ yard range, and the 40kap is good for 400-500 yards, with simple eye illumination be further. The 40kap is the light that I do all my scanning with as I don't need to hold on to it... just simply turn my head and the light goes with. 3 more days and our night season opens up... thats 4 too many...

SHL also has a light called the coyote cannon with a 1000+yard range in red.

this link shows the ranges for every light that SHL offers. https://sniperhoglights.com/light-distances/

I think their prices are very fair, and one awesome feature for the 40kap is that you can simply plug it in to recharge it when your done for the night or you also have the option of swapping batteries, take your pick.

One thing I forgot to mention is that SHL's customer service is absolutely top notch. My first trip out with the 66lrx I had a slight issue with the dimmer tail cap. The light would turn on, but it wouldn't dim. I got on the facebook on my phone and sent them a message stating what was going on and left them my number expecting them to call me the next day as it was like 7pm. 30 seconds after sending the message I got a phone call from the owner and we got the issue sorted out in no time. Turned out that during assembly the plate inside that cap that makes contact with the battery in the tube just got turned in a turn or two too far and was grounding out on a screw or something. Literally turned it out a couple turns and it has worked perfectly since. They did offer to just send me a new dimmer tail cap since I shouldn't have had to deal with the issue, but I declined because it was a super simple fix.

I’m running night eyes. To me all the adjustments on the sniper hog, wicked and others seemed like one more thing I would have to deal with and knowing me would always be at the wrong setting. I really enjoy the on/off of the night eyes and they have a very nice beam pattern that’s not too focused and throws plenty far.

I have never tried any other lights

Im with everyone else in suggesting niteeyes...ive run their light since they came out and never had any problems. It has been an excellent light. I also have not used any other light.

Thanks for the advice so far. For those like the last three posts that say they're running Nighteyes, are you using the headlight or the weapon light or both?

I also run the nighteyes double headlamp red/white. Red for scan, white for recovery. Love it !!!

Check him out on YouTube !

I run the COYOTELIGHT on the rifle. Haven’t tried Joe’s gun light.

Welcome to Predator Masters !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gethuntinAnyone here use Night Eyes IR light for night vision? Any input would be appreciated.

I sent you a PM

Back