Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3258562 - 11/25/20 10:28 PM Called in 2 coyotes today but one got away!
derbyacresbob Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Kern County, CA
On my third coyote calling stand today I was calling on a open long ridge top with cows and little calves on it.

I was laying prone with my 22-250 and had my X-Wave about 50 yards away from me. After about 5 minutes of playing Jack Rabbit Distress I saw something about 500 to 600 yards away and it didn't look like a calf.

It was a coyote running my way at a high rate of speed. The coyote was only 300 yards away in no time at all so I muted the sound on my X-Wave.

The big female coyote stopped about 50 yards from my X-Wave so I had a good shot right at 100 yards away.
IMG_7984 by [/url], on Flickr

My next stand has been a very good one for me for at least 10 years now. It is down in the bottom of a huge canyon. The side of this canyon go up 88 foot to 2,000 foot in places on both sides for close to a mile.

The wind is normally blowing up the canyon. I walk down the canyon about 400 yards and set my caller up on the bottom of the canyon. Then I climb up the side of the canyon about 15 yards and sit in some big boulders.

From these boulders I can't see up the canyon very far at all. Since I walk down the canyon from my truck I never thought I would have a coyote approach from the down wind side the way I walked in from my truck.

The canyon bottom is only 50 yards to 150 yards wide so down wind from my caller I thought no coyotes would come in from that way because of my scent and my truck could be seen or smelled.

Today after calling for about 10 minutes I looked a little to my right and saw a coyote walking away from my X-Wave heading back up the canyon. This coyote was right were I walked into the stand from, walking slowly with it's nose close to the ground.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kauRoA]
IMG_7991 by [/url], on Flickr

The above picture is the first picture I took of the coyote.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kaqxMN]
IMG_7994 by [/url], on Flickr

The coyote heard my camera and turned and looked towards me where I was sitting in the boulders above the canyon bottom. The way I was sitting in the rocks I could't get a shot off with my shotgun that far to the right.

The coyote didn't have to go far to be completely out of sight. But I did get a picture of it! mad

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kauPpv]
IMG_8005 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/][/url], on Flickr

I think the Tule Elk around here are more like antelope than they are like Rocky Mountain elk. They are perfectly happy in wide open spaces with no cover. I see them all the time on small hills or ridge tops with no cover at all.

#3258564 - 11/25/20 10:45 PM Re: Called in 2 coyotes today but one got away! [Re: derbyacresbob]
hm1996 Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: S. Texas
One for two ain't all that bad, and you got some nice pics.

Thanks for sharing

Regards,
hm

If My people will humble themselves, pray, seek My face & turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven & will forgive their sin & heal their land.

#3258580 - 11/26/20 03:09 AM Re: Called in 2 coyotes today but one got away! [Re: derbyacresbob]
Bear Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Colorado USA
Elk were originally flat land animals,before the white man.

#3258595 - 11/26/20 11:32 AM Re: Called in 2 coyotes today but one got away! [Re: Bear]
tripod3 Offline
PM senior

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By: Bear
Elk were originally flat land animals,before the white man.

Probably the biggest elk in this state are among the sagebrush or crops. I see them throughout the year along with moose and no trees in sight.

This looks like another coyote lesson in never say never.

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.