Athlon Scopes??

A few months back I wrote up a Athlon Ares 2-12x40mm I have it on an open country rig and like it a lot. Mine has a BDC type reticle and is spot on out to 500 yards my only complaint is I wish it had a center dot like the elevation dots for close in work, not something that is a big deal and it is working great for me.

Savage model 10, 20 Practical, X-caliber Midweight barrel.
zqXVn2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Athlon Argos 2-10x40 at bargain close out price it is a great scope IMO! Also owned the cheaper Talos & Neos
which I have no complaints about at all..

After having bought a Talos and seeing clearer glass with it
than my much more expensive Vortex Viper, I emailed Athlon how
much recoil their Argos could take. The answer was that it was
tested out on a 50BMG and held up to that. After receiving one,
I was totally pleased. Any of my other scopes that die will get
replaced with an Athlon.

Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate. Where is a good place to shop? Also just in case it helps with any more opinions or input. I am looking for a large objective, high power variable scope. Looking to push some pills out to longer distances accurately. .308 and 6.5 Creedmore.

Last edited:
Athlon makes some good optics. I have a Cronus, Ares BTR, and a Midas BTR. They have all performed great. I don't have any of their lower tier scopes, so I can't say if they are any good.

I had one, believe it was a Talos. I know it was not a top end model. My only complaint was the knob for the lighted reticle was so tight you had to use pliers to turn it. Dead serious!! Other than that, no problems.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI had one, believe it was a Talos. I know it was not a top end model. My only complaint was the knob for the lighted reticle was so tight you had to use pliers to turn it. Dead serious!! Other than that, no problems.

Mine came that way also, but after a few uses/turns, it
loosened up.

Bought the 2-10x40 Argos on close out, I'm very pleased with it. Have also owned the cheaper Talos & Neos without any problems. I understand they are very loyal to there lifetime warranty as well.

I looked at the Argos today. Just to tactical looking and I don't like the illumination knob hanging off the side. Like the Talos I use to have, it was a bear to turn off and on. Passed on it and went Burris.

I have the Midas BTR 4.5 x 27 x 50 mil. Works great no issues, Did contact them for a shim kit for zero stop. Customer service is great.

I have 2 Ares and a Helos. I really like mine, and the customer service was great. I could not get 1 of my Ares scopes to sight in, I emailed them and sent it in and had a brand new replacement in about 7 days.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI looked at the Argos today. Just to tactical looking and I don't like the illumination knob hanging off the side. Like the Talos I use to have, it was a bear to turn off and on. Passed on it and went Burris.

The Argos I bought (2-10x40) Wasn't Illuminated, but does have the target style turrets. Its fairly light & now resides on my custom 243 mag.. Great scope is you can find one! Gave only 130.00 for mine so I kinda got a steal.

I recently bought a couple of Athlon Ares and am very pleased with them. To me they are brighter and clearer than the equivalent Vortex models.

A friend convinced me to try Athlon. Chose Athlon after comparing a Vortex of mine to his equivalent Athlon, I was amazed at how much brighter and clearer his was.

Even though I am not impressed with Vortex glass, I was fairly loyal to them. The glass quality and a couple of negative experiences with their CS has resulted in me shifting away from Vortex.

Hopefully I never have to use the warranty of Athlon, but if I do I hope they acknowledge the problem and not merely return it without fixing it.

I have an argos 8-34 (it's good to 28ish, but once you hit 30 it's pretty useless) and I kept it over a viper. While comparing the 2 I noticed the reticule in the athlon rotated slightly when changing the power. Emailed them and told them it was an ever so slight movement and they said it needed repair. It's been a year or more, but I'll probably send it in soon. I'm not turned off at all, and still find athlon to be a great value.

I had bought a 2-10x40mm while the scope was great as far as clarity and tacking the high turrets were a pain and would hang up in my scabbard. I gave it to my granddaughter for target shooting on her 223. The 2-12 has low capped turrets.

The 2-10x40mm
KNtfL6.jpg

Last edited:
Back