Couple of days in E. Wa.

wolftrapper

5c4thumbnail20201121T07.jpg
thumbnail20201121T07.jpg

Spent a couple of days in E. Washington, and did okay. The first morning, (a week ago Thursday), I left the rig in the dark, and hiked in about a half mile... should have stopped at 1/4 mile, because I saw one running off, just ahead of me. I gave him some time to vacate, then set up and called with no results...went over the next ridge and tried again. Nothing. Full daylight by now, so I headed back toward the rig, and the farmhouse. Got about 1/4 mile from the rig, and decided to give it another try, since it had been over an hour since I had been through there.

I sat facing a deep draw, thinking that would be the most likely approach route. Called for about five minutes, with my mouth/hand call, and sure enough, a coyote showed up, coming directly from the direction of the farmhouse/barn! She appeared walking over a rise, at about forty yards, and I couldn't shoot, because the buildings were directly behind her. I slowly got my rifle turned on her and just waited. Luckily, she trotted to my left, and came closer, which put her in a safe position for the shot, which was anti-climatic at the range. .222 Rem, 50 grain SP clear through the shoulders, about a fifty cent size exit.

After two days of windy weather and some pheasant hunting, I got another good morning, and went back to try for the coyote that I bumped the first morning. I hiked out a ways, but short of where he had been on Thursday. I figured he would be hunting the same area, and set up accordingly. It took about ten minutes for him to show up, and he came in from my 7 o'clock...just trotted right on by me at about 20 yards! I got him in the scope, gave a vocal "squeak", which stopped him, and that was it. I went on a good distance, and tried again with no luck, but I was happy!

Originally Posted By: AWSModel 70 Sporter in 222 Rem, that's a rather rare bird. Good shooting and hunting.

Thanks! This my favorite rifle, of all that I have owned. It will lay 'em in there!

Back