Small Rifle Primer costs going up

Well when I read there was a shortage on primers I had less than 3 bricks total on hand. I picked up about 15 or more bricks ranging between $22 to $39.99 per brick in the last month. Three bricks of Remington 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 at $22 and the rest CCI at $39.99. CCI’s in SP, MSP, MLP, LR, and MLR. I did pick up a brick of Federal LP primers for $39 as well. I lost count buying them to be honest. I don’t shoot competition but I can say now I will not ever have to worry about primers for a long, long time now. I at least have enough to trade back and forth for differ sizes if it ever gets really bad. Probably could sell one brick on GB and make enough profit to pay for all the ones I bought. If Biden wins the election the primer buyers will panic even more so I’ll wait till the panic peaks before I decide if I want to part with any. I’m sure I won’t. I can bet you after the panic is over you’ll be hard pressed to to see an average cost of a brick of primers under $39.99. My LGS has been selling them along with Cabelas for $39.99 a brick for the last 3 to 4 years as do 99% of the other places I shop. The prices of the 90’s and early 2000’s are gone in afraid. You can always camp out at Sportsman’s warehouse like your trying to get concert tickets for the low ball internet prices they offer with no inventory or buy cheap on line and get gouged double the price for hazmat. Especially now with Remington being bankrupt. We will see if who ever buys them decides to ever produce the unicorn $22 a brick primers again that Sportsman's wholesales to the public . I will just keep buying them as long as they are under $40 a brick whether I need them or not because imo they will be equivalent to the price of gold in few more months.

Last edited:
Sadly, everything is going up. A local shop i stopped in today had one 8 lb jug of Varget and one 8 lb jug of H4350 for $256.95 pls tax each. $36.95 plus tax for the one lb jugs. $5-$10 per 100 primers with a limit of one pack. Powder valley got a shipment and I ordered $900 worth this morning so i feel good for a little while. Its a shame everything is so expensive but it is what it is.

I bought about 175k primers of various types back in March when i found them for $20/1k from a wholesaler and am glad I jumped on em.
Ill run out of brass before I run out of powder or primers at this point. Its sad that 12 months ago, i would scoff at more than $28/brick and now $32 seems like a steal.

Last edited:
Heck Id be glad to pay 40-50 bucks for 1k Federal match small rifle primers. They are non existent in my area of North Georgia. Hook me up if anyone knows where I could score 1 or 2k of any brand.

Check out GB now. Last night 600 cci 400's were at $305, with some time left to go. I think it will only get worse as supply dries up even more and people show what they're willing to pay.

Last week I bid $305 on an 8# jug of Varget with 12 days to go. I checked today and 3 days after I bid someone paid the buy it now price of $795. I felt foolish bidding $305 but knew I would probably be way low. Low bid was $295 next $300 mine at $305 and a day later $795. Glad I dont need it.

I just ordered an 8 of VVn133, which I've always wanted to try anyway, but it was 25% higher than most powders, now it's as cheap as any and still (barely) available. Should work great in the 204, 223ai, and grendel and 6.8 cats. I should have enough primers for a couple years. If I don't cash them out, which is tempting if they get close to a buck a piece. Half way there now.

I waited too long. Can’t find any primers. I’m looking for Remington 9 1/2 or CCI BR-4.
I have CCI Magnum 450 primers I would trade or W209 shotgun primers if anyone is interested.

I believe the primer shortage is partly due to Remington going bankrupt. They owned CCI and of course Remington primer facility.

When the BIG "O" was in office in was at an auction that had a pile of primers and powder that they were auctioning off and when as they get to the 1st lot I asked the question if they were going to ship the primers and powder due to the on-line bidding. They stopped the auction and asked me what I was talking about. I explained that they needed to be a hazardous materials shipper in order to ship them or if they were going to make the on-line bidders come and pick them up. They stopped the on-line bidding for the primers and powder and would only let people that were there in person bid. I got a pile of remington 7.5s, winchester LR, LP, SP and 209 primers along with lbs or powder dirt cheap. I have since sold most of the powder that i don't use and recouped my money. So i an not worried about primers but some of my powders are on the low side for what i would like to see. Need to stock up when you find it. And it is going to be a long 4yrs.

I saw small pistol primers today for $200 1K and on Gunbroker a pound of Retumbo was $174.95. And people thought only a woman could be raped.

One of the lgs got some large and small rifle primers in today. They want $15 per hundred for cci 400s. Thanks but no thanks. If I needed a couple hundred for hunting this year I might do it.

Powders are a bit easier. I would be really tempted to try some of the Shooters world powders if I didn't already have my favorites stocked up. I also ordered a keg of vv133 to try in the 223 and 204. I've always read great things about it, but it's higher priced but now a few bucks more doesn't seem to matter as much lol.

Paid $35 for 1k at a shop the other day and picked up 300 more CCI-400 for about $4 per hundred a couple days later. Probably go grab another 1k from the first shop sometime soon.

Big store yesterday and they limit primers to 200 per person. Ended up with 100 large rifle and 100 small rifle, both cci. 12.99 and 13.99 was the price.

Great video and I agree with him. To bad we have these guys that don't agree and think they can get rich quick screwing people. They seem to forget what goes around comes around. One day they will have all this inventory and no one to sell it to. Or at least I hope they do. Maybe they can trade it for toilet paper.

Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestCCI/Speer is owned by Vista. Not Remington it may had been who bought them. I remember reading that whoever bought them said it could be several months before they have anything in production.

Back