Just shoot

tripod3

Parked at the base of a knoll and called for a bit, this coyote showed up and paced and looked but wouldn't cross the flat, so I shot it. It staggered a little before collapsing.
Exactly 360 yds, Tikka .22-250 50 gr Rem Accutip.

[img:center][/img]

[img:center][/img]

Thanks guys, the rancher stopped by tonight saying he heard me shoot and couldn't figure out what I was shooting at until he saw me drive out for a pic.
That t-shirt might be appropriate!

Nice shot. AWS and I had one at a similar distance a week ago and we had plenty of time to shoot. It wasn't acting too nervous even though it saw us. I passed because I couldn't get prone. I need to practice more so I become good enough to kill coyotes up to 400 yards without getting prone.
We never had a better shot at that coyote. If I had missed I would have wished I never shot because I don't like educating coyotes. Killing coyotes consistently at 300 or 400 yards is much more difficult than shooting a deer at those distances.

Originally Posted By: BrianIDNice shot. AWS and I had one at a similar distance a week ago and we had plenty of time to shoot. It wasn't acting too nervous even though it saw us. I passed because I couldn't get prone. I need to practice more so I become good enough to kill coyotes up to 400 yards without getting prone.
We never had a better shot at that coyote. If I had missed I would have wished I never shot because I don't like educating coyotes. Killing coyotes consistently at 300 or 400 yards is much more difficult than shooting a deer at those distances.

Knowing your drops really helps, switching calibers often won't.
Most of all a rangefinder really keeps you honest.

I know my drops well and ranged the coyote at 373(?) It also wasn't windy which is the biggest challenge in long range shooting.

The problem is I'm not a good enough shot off sticks at 300+ yards to feel confident. I would have only given myself a 50% chance of killing that coyote. I shoot a lot of paper targets up to 600 yards on a regular basis and occasionally paper out to 1000 yards. Shooting paper on a regular basis, especially on windy days keeps me very humble on what my abilities really are. The problem is most of my practice shooting is prone. I need to practice from a sitting or standing off hand position more often. I've missed 3 standing off hand coyotes in the last 30 days that I should have killed.

Great shot Tripod!

Offhand I have no confidence past pretty close. But I do practice off my sticks sitting quite a bit and have confidence to 400 or so. But a few weeks ago I passed a facing shot at 322, figured he'd get a good bit closer. He went into a swale and the next time I saw him was 1/2 mile headed out. You just never know. He must have seen a glare or something.

Back