.243-55 grain

Quote:I feel that alot of bullet performance can be controlled by velocity. We all tend to go for speed. I've been guilty myself. But I'm no expert by any means.

I'm no expert by any means either, but.
In my 6mm rem, the Varmagedens don't "Splash" at 4200 fps.
They have a tendency to try and push the onside shoulder out the offside shoulder. I try never to it a shoulder. I would not call it the best fur-friendly caliber, with any bullet.

i have shot coyotes with 58 and 60 grain bullets out of the .243. i prefer 70 grain ballistic tips. all of them work quite well. i have several 10 twist .243. the 95 and 100 grain nosler partitions are awesome for deer. also killed 3 antelope and two elk with them.

Mine shot real well with 58gr barnes and h380 powder at just over 4000fps.i stopped using it and went with 70gr bullets and a mild load to save the barrel.

I just got a shipment of some nosler 55 for the 243. Will try work on some varget loads and see what they do. Might work some up in the 6x45 too.

Great post Acronin... wish I was in NE right now chasing those furry critters.

When I shot coyotes with the 243..it was with Sierra 60gr HP. Those Boys up in ND got me started using them because they killed a lot of coyotes and deer with that bullet, and they were fur saving Guys...I wasn't, but just wanted a bullet that was known to work well... I even killed two doe deer with it...lung hits... yet, not my deer bullet recommendation. The problem with that bullet is that it's just not SEXY...it's not the new thing on the block... but it's dependable. After reading this thread, along with Acronin's detailed post...it's a wonder why we shoot any other caliber than the 243... it just works... with dependability.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersGreat post Acronin... wish I was in NE right now chasing those furry critters.

When I shot coyotes with the 243..it was with Sierra 60gr HP. Those Boys up in ND got me started using them because they killed a lot of coyotes and deer with that bullet, and they were fur saving Guys...I wasn't, but just wanted a bullet that was known to work well... I even killed two doe deer with it...lung hits... yet, not my deer bullet recommendation. The problem with that bullet is that it's just not SEXY...it's not the new thing on the block... but it's dependable. After reading this thread, along with Acronin's detailed post...it's a wonder why we shoot any other caliber than the 243... it just works... with dependability.

Its so fun! There is no other experience in hunting that has been more enjoyable than calling in coyotes.

I'm sure there are other bullets that have done well on coyotes. I do think the 55 gr. Nosler Varmaeddon's would be a great selection.

I'm also sure at some point my 55SBK's will have an exit or a splash, but so far they haven't.

It's just fun to try different loads.

My next thing is 75gr Speer HP's in my 16" TC Contender chambered in 6TCU. It puts the smack on prairie dogs.

Also I have a 6mm Mongoose AR that I'm trying the 55gr SBK's out in. It really likes them and at 3400 fps it'll be interesting to see what 400 FPS slower does with them. Maybe better, may be worse.

Originally Posted By: AcroninOriginally Posted By: dan brothersGreat post Acronin... wish I was in NE right now chasing those furry critters.

Its so fun! There is no other experience in hunting that has been more enjoyable than calling in coyotes.

I'm sure there are other bullets that have done well on coyotes. I do think the 55 gr. Nosler Varmaeddon's would be a great selection.

I'm also sure at some point my 55SBK's will have an exit or a splash, but so far they haven't.

It's just fun to try different loads.

My next thing is 75gr Speer HP's in my 16" TC Contender chambered in 6TCU. It puts the smack on prairie dogs.

Also I have a 6mm Mongoose AR that I'm trying the 55gr SBK's out in. It really likes them and at 3400 fps it'll be interesting to see what 400 FPS slower does with them. Maybe better, may be worse.

Excellent posts ACronin! I just finished up my load development for my new Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win and settled on the Barnes 80 gr TTSX which in the final load I settled on, chronographed at 3378 fps.

My experience with Barnes bullets has been very good across a lot of different calibers and the 36 gr Varmint Grenade in my 220 Swift does not leave any exit holes. I could see where the 62 gr Varmint Grenade in the 243 Win might be a different story with a lot heavier bullet and might not be a good choice if a guy was saving fur.

Using their TTSX bullet however, and my reasoning for loading the 80 gr TTSX, goes directly to your point of this caliber being a great crossover caliber. I plan to use it for coyotes, antelope and deer, which it will be superb for that use. On coyotes specifically, what you will see is complete pass throughs but little damage on the exit side because the bullet stays in tact and is not frangible. Unless of course, you take one directly through the front shoulders and then you may push some bone out the other side but any bullet will do that.

With all the new calibers on the market today, I am very excited to place the old and tired 243 Win in my stable!

Last edited:
Back