Zeiss Optics

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#3256449 - 11/03/20 09:51 PM Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled
Dultimatpredator Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wisconsin
I bought a Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope brand new from optics planet a month or so before Nikon announced they were discontinuing sell scopes. I love my Nikons and figured they would just repair my dozen and a half Nikons Iíve purchased over the years if they ever failed. As Murphyís Law would take affect I have had that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a gun and collecting dust. Iíve had to the range twice and shot Less than 20 to 40 rounds through and it failed. It was shooting a foot left at one yards and four inches high with the very next shot after zeroing it in. I took it back to 50 yards and the next shot was 7Ē right! I adjusted it 16 clicks left and my bullet hit on the same hole as the first. I adjusted it 16 more to the left and I was completely off the 2.5í square paper target. I pulled the optic off, called Nikon and they told me to send it in with my original receipt. I sent it Usps so I could track it. They have had it for about a month now. I received an email that it was on the bench over a week ago and today I get an email saying itís not repairable because it wasnít an ďeconomicĒ repair for them so Nikon emailed a voucher to use on their website for $229 which they felt was a suggested retail price. First of all I sent my receipt showing I paid $273 and some change for it a little over a year ago. Second, why would I want a voucher to use on their website when I need a scope and they donít sell them anymore. I donít want a range finder, a camera, or camera lens! I called Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as polite as i could be and explained I wanted my optic repaired, replaced (could even replace it with a similar magnification optic), or refund my purchase. I canít believe after selling optics for decades they donít carry enough parts in stock for repairs...after stop selling scopes for only a year or so. What scares me is I have a good dozen and a half other Nikon Monarchs and Pros staffs and will have to go through this again in and when they fail. Iím sure I donít have receipts for all of them as well. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes I havenít used yet. I might remove all the Nikons after hunting season and eBay all of them. I will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

I was also told by Nikon of they end up refunding me and I buy a NIB replacement Nikon from a retailer with old inventory still in stock they will only give me a 7 year warranty on it.

#3256460 - 11/04/20 06:25 AM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
topweldor1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: az, usa
That's a bummer, I also have a lot of them. Luckily I have not had any problems. I figure if I have a failure just throw it away. Leupold all the way!

#3256467 - 11/04/20 08:30 AM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
Dultimatpredator Online
Die Hard Member III

I can say of all the Nikons I own I have had three fail. They were basically bad roght off the get go or within 50 rounds of ammo through each. The rest are going strong. Iíll have to get the ones I have NIB yet and test them to make sure I donít have anymore defective optics.

#3256778 - 11/07/20 06:55 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
Dogface Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: PA
I owned one Nikon and it came on a used rifle I bought. I had to return it to Nikon almost immediately for repairs because it would not track.

I have always been leery of buying any Nikon because I saw so many "refurbished" Nikons for sale at different dealers.

#3256905 - 11/09/20 05:52 AM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dogface]
BobT Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Originally Posted By: Dogface

I have always been leery of buying any Nikon because I saw so many "refurbished" Nikons for sale at different dealers.

I have wondered about this myself, while I have never had to return a Nikon I have been slowly getting rid of them and going to Leupold. Anyone can put out a dud on occasion but the guys I know that have sent Nikons in for repair have had hit or miss service. I'm down to a single Pro Staff and it is sitting on a shelf at present.

Maybe Nikon should have stuck to cameras, they are very good at those IMHO.

#3257148 - 11/11/20 06:32 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
DannoBoone Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Walker, IA
Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator
I will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.

You might give Athlon a consideration. I got a Vortex Viper and
it's good for accuracy, but just so-so on clarity. Later got an
Athlon Talos, a cheaper scope, but optical clarity was superior
to the Viper. Then I got an Athlon Argos, roughly same price
range as the Viper, but with crystal clear optics and great
accuracy.

#3258043 - 11/20/20 01:43 AM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
Zastava223rem Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I was never a big Nikon guy although ive ended up with a few here and there. I am not at all surprised to hear that they are selective on their repairs now. I am really fond of the prostaff rimfire scopes for their value and performance. Hopefully they dont give me any trouble.

#3258105 - 11/20/20 04:31 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
Dultimatpredator Online
Die Hard Member III

I rolled the dice since I love my Nikonís....

I received my $229 refund check yesterday. I also sold a NIB 3-9 prostaff on eBay two days ago for $180.00. I bought the 3-9 prostaff from Dickís on sale for $79 this past spring. I saw they were selling on eBay for $185 so I figured if I sold it for that kind of money I could upgrade to a $174.00 pro staff 7, 2.5-10 with a 30 mm tube and a front focus which I need for my eyes. I ordered a refurbished 2.5-10 Monarch 3 for $223 and the new prostaff 7 for an additional $27 out of pocket. The company I bought them from has a no hassle 15 day free return so I will inspect them when the scopes arrive. I figured. If the Monarch is scratched, dented, or has reign marks I will return it for another PS 7. I was told most the refurbished scopes look like brand new.

Edited by Dultimatpredator (11/20/20 04:31 PM)

#3258214 - 11/21/20 08:11 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: DannoBoone]
liliysdad Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

accuracy.

Funny recommending a scope from a brand new, unproven company with nearly no track record to replace a scope from a well established company who discontinued their scope line.

Not saying its wrong, just ironic. Myself, I would stick with established manufacturers. Vortex doesn't even give me the warm fuzzies.

#3258275 - Yesterday at 03:52 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: liliysdad]
Dultimatpredator Online
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: liliysdad
Originally Posted By: DannoBoone

accuracy.

Funny recommending a scope from a brand new, unproven company with nearly no track record to replace a scope from a well established company who discontinued their scope line.

Not saying its wrong, just ironic. Myself, I would stick with established manufacturers. Vortex doesn't even give me the warm fuzzies.

Sounds like the owner. lol. I wouldnít take an Athlon if you gave it to me. With all the extremely weird power range configurations Iíll guarantee my cheap tasco varmints will be clearer at high magnification. Maybe after about 15 years on the market and normal hunting configurations Iíd look at them. Iím sure that company wonít be in business in a year or two.

My Pro Staff 7 for $174 and refurbisnshed Monarch for $223 is on its way. I have a 15 day free no haste return on both. If the Monarch is beat up I will return it for another or another pro staff 7. For a $174 for a 2.5-10 30mm tube NIB Nikon I might buy a couple.

Edited by Dultimatpredator (Yesterday at 04:00 PM)

#3258282 - Yesterday at 05:03 PM Re: Nikonís lifetime scope warranty has fizzled [Re: Dultimatpredator]
liliysdad Online
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oklahoma
I was never impressed with Nikon in any way, but I'd take one over an Athlon....barely.

Moderator:  reb8600 

© 2000-2008 Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.