243 or ???

As I previously said relative to the 6BR vs the 243:

Benefits would be less recoil than the 243 and probably triple the barrel life over the 243. The velocity loss would be minor for what you're looking to do and accuracy will be as good or better than the 243. If you reload, the 6BR will use 30%/40% less powder.

Brass - initial cost will be expensive BUT purchase 100 cases of unprimed Lapua brass and you'll probably get 20+ reloadings off each case, so in the long run, brass might be less expensive. I run Lapua brass for a 22-250 and it's initially expensive but it's like the energizer bunny - just keeps on going.

If the OP has a bad shoulder, the 6BR's recoil is so low that a lot of benchrest competitors shoot the 6BR free recoil. Big difference IMO in felt recoil from the 243's sharp snappy felt recoil. Yes, you could wear a sissy pad to reduce the felt recoil from the 243 but why?

As for the accuracy from a 6BR: https://www.6mmbr.com/page/page/1309618.htm

I competed in benchrest with a 6BR - never shot a zero group but had several 5-shot groups that measured in the low 0.100"s and they did cost me a couple bucks, as I "insulted" the scorer's by requesting a re-measurement, which showed the original measurement was either correct or a couple thousandths larger.
cool.gif

Don't expect sub 0.250" groups from the 6BR using non-custom match barrels, properly bedded and trued action, 2 oz trigger and high powered BR Xhair scope but do expect sub MOA.

.243 is a great choice. I have a bunch of different cartridges in a bunch of different calibers and when it comes to filling a tag, more often than not, I reach for the ol' Trusty Rusty TC Venture chambered in .243 Winchester.

IF you would like to try something else that's not as readily available but can find it most places then I'd consider the often overlooked .25-06. It's a great caliber that is fast and doesn't have much more recoil that the .243. It's not as good on predators if you want to save fur, but loaded up with a 90gr Barnes it'll be really good.

.257 Robers would be another recommendation, but you can't find that ammo on the shelf often. If you are a handloader then .257 BOB is a sweet cartridge.

Overall you are spot on with the .243.

Originally Posted By: Acronin.243 is a great choice. I have a bunch of different cartridges in a bunch of different calibers and when it comes to filling a tag, more often than not, I reach for the ol' Trusty Rusty TC Venture chambered in .243 Winchester.

While I would hate to only have three centerfire varminters in my safe, I believe that I could get by just fine with my .17 Hornet, my .223 AI and my .243 AI as they will do everything that I ever needed a varmint rifle to do.

Like most of the guys above, I have a number of different calibers I hunt varmints with but I just picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win and am working up a load for it right now using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. I don't have it dialed in yet because it has been so windy here that going to the range for load development is out of the question.

I did buy a box of Barnes Vor-TX factory ammo with the 80 gr TTSX and it shot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with that ammo. They advertise 3350 fps with it but I did not chronograph it. If I can get that same accuracy with a little more speed with my handloads I will be a happy camper.

I will hunt coyotes with it for sure but primarily bought it for antelope and deer. Who knows, it may become the rifle I grab for the most as it is sure a sweet handling rifle and very nice to carry.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullLike most of the guys above, I have a number of different calibers I hunt varmints with but I just picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite in 243 Win and am working up a load for it right now using the Barnes 80 gr TTSX. I don't have it dialed in yet because it has been so windy here that going to the range for load development is out of the question.

I did buy a box of Barnes Vor-TX factory ammo with the 80 gr TTSX and it shot 1/2 MOA right out of the box with that ammo. They advertise 3350 fps with it but I did not chronograph it. If I can get that same accuracy with a little more speed with my handloads I will be a happy camper.

I will hunt coyotes with it for sure but primarily bought it for antelope and deer. Who knows, it may become the rifle I grab for the most as it is sure a sweet handling rifle and very nice to carry.

My buddies son shot a cow elk in northern AZ with that factory Barnes TTSX load out of an 18 inch youth Ruger American. He was hoping his son would like the 7-08 but he just wasn't there yet. They picked out a moderate sized cow at 160 yards. Complete pass through double lung. I shoot the 80's out of my 25-06 at 3600fps. Those bullets in the 243 cartridge should not be underestimated.

Last edited:
The 80 ttsx has been a crazy accurate bullet for me. In my 243 wssm ar, I picked a load of 40 gr Varget, and the first 3 were nearly touching at 200 yds. I loaded three more and they went in the same group. I stopped load development there. The only thing I've killed with that combo was a 260 yd antelope and it never twitched.

Gents ,

This is the kind of information I'm looking for .Keep it coming I really appreciate it .
I want to put some new glass on it and have been looking at a Leupold
VX3-I 4.5X14X40mm-Side Focus CDS ZL ' It comes in 40MM or 50MM I'm afraid the 50 will require too high a set of rings .
Anyone using that scope ? If so what's the pro/cons
Thank you in advance for your help .
sorry this is a wrong post

Last edited:

I just like the 243, I own four of them.
My first one was a used one when I graduated from High School, 1964.
A Mannlicher Schoenauer carbine MC, 243 win. "Thanks Dad"
It has a Paul Jaeger QD scope mount and a 4X Lyman scope.
Under the scope mount, you can still see the iron sights, double leaf.
Dad taught me that a hunting rifle must always have iron sights.

ANlByce.jpg

Originally Posted By: soupGents ,

This is the kind of information I'm looking for .Keep it coming I really appreciate it .
VX3-I 4.5X14X40mm-Side Focus CDS ZL ' It comes in 40MM or 50MM I'm afraid the 50 will require too high a set of rings .
I have this scope on mine. 40mm it is. It is the ideal setup for my needs.

i have several .243; they work great. the 95 partition has worked on deer , coyote , elk , antelope. my brother snd i have shot coyote with 58 and 60 grain on up. you want a tikka or sako.

Originally Posted By: soupGents ,

I have this same scope minus the side focus in 40mm on my new Tikka T3x Superlite and it is a great combination and zoom range for this caliber in my opinion. Shoot, it is a great zoom range for a lot of calibers!

Its tough to argue against a Leupold 4.5x14 scope on just about any rifle. Whether on a rifle used for big game or on a smaller caliber, more varmint related hunting rifle. For me the 40MM objective is the only answer to that part of the equation.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanIts tough to argue against a Leupold 4.5x14 scope on just about any rifle. Whether on a rifle used for big game or on a smaller caliber, more varmint related hunting rifle. For me the 40MM objective is the only answer to that part of the equation.

^^^^^^works for me.

in fact i have a bunch of 3-9x40mm on various rifles. and they work fine for me also.

If you reload, 6xc. Or 6mm-250.
Will give you plenty of performance and burn less powder (less recoil) than ever a 243

Originally Posted By: B23243 Winnie, 6mm Creedmoor, 6x47 Lapua are all great choices. The new 6mm ARC from Hornady would be a pretty soft shooting cartridge as well but will give up a little velocity to those other three.

If you want something that offers a little more bullet weight but still is relatively easy on the shoulder consider a 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5x47 Lapua.

If you want to tame down whatever you decide on even further put a muzzle brake on it or go through the process of getting a suppressor.

Also, get something with a little heft to it, not a super light weight rifle, the extra weight will do as much to soften it up as anything.
Another vote for 6x47 Lapua, fun little low recoil, long bullet caliber.

Originally Posted By: viper6x45 does not top 6ARC unless I am looking at a bad chart?

Never mind I misread 6x”47”

Back