Baiting

06, I've shot several with the 65 vmax with good results on all. Having said that, the 58 was an outstanding performer for me as well back when I had a Ruger American in .243. In fact, I still have a bunch of 58's and may revisit those. The 58 Vmax will absolutely perform for you! In fact, I don't really remember why I switched to the 65's...
But, given the availability of components, it's gonna be shoot what ya got, I think.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpYes, that's what it is. I took one apart today. There are two tiny led's. One is blue for charging and the other is red to signal the unit is working. I put a little dab of liquid electric tape over the red one and that solved it. I'll do the other one the same way when I bring it in to charge tomorrow. Only thing is you have to break a little glue loose at the end of the coil antenna to get the board out. Simply enough with a little screwdriver. Thanks Owen, hope the wife is doing good.

Thanks for asking Paul, and yes she is improving every day. I live near the coast pretty close to saltwater and hurricanes. I did notice the screws holding the Hosmart units were rusting some so I replaced them with stainless steel.

BP, nice work on that coyote. I know it feels good to get one down, congrats.

Last edited:
111820,2(3) by jrhranch, on Flickr

#2 This morning at the 170 yd. 2 yr old male.This pic was taken from my bench through my binos.A little blurry, but to give you an idea of what I'm seeing.

111820,2(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Again, 65 Vmax from .243. This was also a bang flop. Tiny little 1/8" diameter exit. Could not find the entrance. Things are maybe picking up. The valley is howling every night...
Thanks for the kind words!! Lots of season ahead of us! Lets go get em fellas!

thumbup.gif

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, I'm back after a 6 year exit from hunting coyote's, due to circumstances we are still in the UP until late December or early January before we go back to Florida for the remainder of the winter if the virus doesn't restrict travel. Brushing up on the rules we can now use a center fire rifle up to .269 caliber after sunset and are now allowed to hunt from a elevated stand after dark for coyotes, also, earlier regulations had us on the ground at sunset. I'll try calling tonight as haven't been acquiring bait to set up a pile, but at least the old scaffold will get some use again.

Welcome back DannyK. Haven’t heard from you in quite a while. Glad you are back.

BP, congrats on #2. The 65 seems to be doing the job well.

It continues...Killed #3 this morning and continue to collect data on the 65 Vmax for 06. I hit this one about 4" back and a little high. The exit was about the size of a quarter...little more than I like.So, I think, as we all have known for ever, shot placement is everything. It was definitely a Bang Flop, but shot placement was probably the cause of the larger exit. This was at 170 yds. The 65gr is very effective, but can have some damage.Young male.

112020 by jrhranch, on Flickr

112020(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Had a hay farmer call me, tired of hearing and seeing them on his deer grounds. Put 2 road kill deer out about 100 yards from a deer blind, blind has a buddy heater, nice office chair and quiet Windows. Looked around and found several snaring locations if the coyote get shy, I honestly like shooting more than trapping. Only issue, when Mn started allowing thermal and night vision for coyote and fox the legislature didn't allow for use of an IR light. A light can only be used with a shotgun, after Jan 1st. Wish I didn't have a bunch of fur sitting in Canada, I could buy a thermal sight.

Spot, sunrise and sunset can be very productive if you can put in the time. This is in my backyard, so putting in the time is a non event. We're talking a recliner and a coffee pot in this blind
smile.gif

The deer blind is ground level, not a coffee drinker. Was thinking some popcorn and hot chocolate sounded good. I put a deer cam about 50' away from the bait, hoping to have accurate visit times.

Quote:We're talking a recliner and a coffee pot in this blind smile.

I like the way you think, and I need to upgrade my hunting position accordingly

You keep stacking ‘em up, BP.

Well, I guess I am more of a wus than anyone. I have a comfortable chair, coffee pot, soup pot, propane heater and a bunk complete with memory foam mattress and warm sleeping bag. Hunt’in them yotes is tough work.

Back